Toronto Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Individuals rely on healthcare professionals to help them maintain proper health and to treat them when they become sick. But while some of the best doctors in the country are in Toronto, sometimes mistakes still happen. When they do, the consequences can be devastating for the patient.
When medical malpractice occurs, the injured parties may have a valid claim to file against the healthcare professional, but proving these cases can be difficult.
It is important that when individuals are injured and they believe medical malpractice is to blame, they speak to a Toronto medical malpractice lawyer that can help. An experienced lawyer can fight for their client’s rights to compensation.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Technically, any time a person is treated by a healthcare professional, there is a risk of medical malpractice. However, there are some types that are more common than others.
- When a condition is misdiagnosed, the wrong medication can be prescribed, and this can be very harmful to the patient
- Delayed diagnosis. When healthcare professionals do not identify a condition or sickness within a timely manner, the patient can also suffer severe consequences. The longer a person goes without proper treatment, the more conditions and sicknesses can progress and get worse
- Birth injuries. Several complications can arise during childbirth and the doctors and healthcare professionals in the room need to be skilled enough to deal with them properly. If they are not, they may incorrectly perform procedures or delay treatment, and this can have severe consequences for both the mother and baby
- Medication errors. This can happen in several ways. The wrong medication can be prescribed, or the correct medication may never be given. Medication can also be improperly administered, or an incorrect dosage can be given. These errors can cause very hazardous complications
- Surgical errors. Many things can go wrong during surgery, and this includes errors on the surgeon’s part. Equipment may be left in a body cavity, organs or blood vessels may be punctured, or the wrong body part may be operated on. While not common, these mistakes do sometimes happen
- Anesthesia errors. If something is going to go wrong during surgery, there is a good chance that it is going to be with the anesthesia administered. Too much, too little, or using a type of anesthesia the patient is allergic to can all have negative effects on the patient
When patients believe they have been a victim of any of these types of medical malpractice, it is important they speak to a Toronto medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible to determine liability and prove their case.
The most difficult component of any medical malpractice lawsuit is proving that it occurred. The only way to do this is to show that the doctor had a duty of care to the patient, and that they breached that duty of care.
To prove that the doctor had a duty of care, there must be an existing relationship between the doctor and patient. A patient that is improperly treated during a doctor’s appointment may have a valid medical malpractice case because the doctor and patient already had an existing relationship.
Likewise, a patient that visits an emergency room and suffers from long delays may also have a case, as a relationship is created as soon as the patient is registered to see a doctor.
In addition to an established relationship, injuries must have also resulted from the medical malpractice. Simply disagreeing with a doctor is not enough to warrant a medical malpractice suit, and at times doctors may need to try several treatments before finding one that works. When there are no injuries present from these treatments, there is no case for medical malpractice.
Contact a Toronto Medical Malpractice Lawyer
In Ottawa, most medical malpractice lawsuits are either settled outside of court or abandoned. The remainder proceed to trial which is why no one should try to do this on their own. Because of the nature of medical malpractice suits, they can be extremely difficult to prove, and it can be a long and complicated process.
In addition to that, insurance companies may try to settle the case for less compensation than the patient would receive in court. For these reasons, it is crucial that those injured due to medical malpractice speak to a Toronto medical malpractice lawyer right away to avoid c like accepting early settlements.
This is an area of law that can be complicated. Lawyers need to have not only legal knowledge, but also a general understanding of medical practices and procedures. A Toronto medical malpractice lawyer can help you prove your case by compiling evidence, and get you the full compensation you may be entitled to.