During the spring and summer months, it is not uncommon to see more and more motorcycles riding through the city of Ottawa and the surrounding areas. Being on a motorcycle leaves the rider at a greater risk than other drivers they are going to encounter on the roads.
While other vehicles have steel frames, air bags, and other protective devices that will protect the driver in case of an accident, motorcyclists often have only a helmet and some protective clothing. This lack of protection can increase the severity of any injuries sustained in a crash, but with the help of an Ottawa motorcycle accident lawyer, victims can often get compensation for those injuries. Contact a skilled lawyer today to discuss your case.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers can meet with you in Ottawa for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Just like other car accidents, there are a number of causes of motorcycle accidents in Ottawa. In most cases, it is other drivers that cause motorcycle accidents. This can occur when:
- Drivers are making left-hand turns at an intersection. When drivers are making left-hand turns, they may look for other cars and, seeing none, think it is safe to turn. However, motorcycles are smaller and only being on Ottawa roads for a few months of the year, drivers do not always see them and do not even always think to look for them. When this happens, drivers can turn right into a motorcycle that is traveling straight through the intersection
- Lane change accidents. This most often occurs when a motorcycle is in a driver’s blind spot. While drivers may look for other cars, it is once again easier to miss a motorcycle, especially when blind spots are already difficult to see
Driver error is not always to blame for motorcycle accidents. Motorcycles are also more susceptible to bad road conditions, such as potholes, as they simply do not have the stability and sturdiness of cars that can easily pass over these obstructions. In these instances, the City of Ottawa may be partly to blame for motorcycle accidents.
Ottawa motorcycle accident lawyers can help victims of motorcycle crashes determine the cause of the accident, and who to hold liable for it.
Ottawa Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Most Common Accident Injuries
When motorcyclists are in an accident, the injuries they sustain are typically more severe than those involved in passenger car accidents. This is partly because of the lack of protection they have surrounding them, but also because of the very nature of motorcycles. When motorcycles are hit by another vehicle, the rider is often thrown from the bike, either onto the pavement, or into the path of another vehicle.
While a number of injuries can be sustained in a motorcycle accident, the most common are:
- Broken bones. Broken bones can be caused by crushing steel, high-impact contact with pavement, or being thrown into or under another vehicle. When bones have been broken and the damage is severe, amputation may even be necessary
- Traumatic brain injuries. In Ottawa, it is law that every motorcyclist wears a helmet while riding. But helmets can only do so much and sometimes, they simply are not enough protection for the head and brain
- Road rash. While this does not sound severe, it can be. Road rash is a result of the body scraping against the ground, causing multiple lacerations and bruises. Even when treated, infection can quickly set in, which can have severe complications
These injuries can result in high medical bills when OHIP will not cover all the expenses, as well as a loss of income when the injured party is unable to continue working as a result of the accident, not to mention pain and suffering
How an Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries. Contact an Ottawa motorcycle accident lawyer who will listen to your case and help you get it as soon as possible.