As trucks continue to crowd Oshawa’s highways and roadways, the chances of accidents to other motor vehicles becomes increasingly higher. But while there are a number of heavy trucks on the road, tractor-trailers make up more than half, and they are the type to do the most amount of damage when they are in an accident.
Because of this, the consequences of any accident can be devastating, and those injured should contact an Oshawa truck accident lawyer right away. An experienced accident lawyer can help those injured seek damages in the form of compensation.
Our truck accident lawyers can meet with you in Oshawa for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Laws for Trucks in Oshawa
Realizing that trucks make up nearly one-quarter of all accidents on Ontario’s roads, the provincial government has introduced laws to make trucks safer for all and reduce the number of accidents. These laws include:
- Speed limiters to prevent trucks from traveling over 105 kilometers per hour. Quebec and Ontario are the only two provinces to have such laws
- Working hours. Truck drivers are only permitted to drive for 13 hours per day, and must have an 8-hour rest period before getting behind the wheel again
While these laws have helped reduce the number of truck accidents in Oshawa, they are unfortunately not fail-proof. Drivers are responsible for setting their own speed limiters, a responsibility some drivers neglect. With strict deadlines, not all truck drivers adhere to the regulations for driving and break times either.
Oshawa Truck Accidents Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Causes of Tractor Trailer Accidents
When drivers do not adhere to the rules of the road, accidents can ensue. While most truck drivers do drive appropriately, the consequences can be deadly when they do not. The three most common causes of accidents that Oshawa truck accident lawyers see are:
- Driver fatigue. Truck drivers spend a lot of time on the roads, and with tight timelines, they often try to take as few breaks as possible. This can lead to driver fatigue, especially when the driver does not adhere to Ontario’s laws regarding proper breaks for truck drivers
- Following too closely. When a truck follows another vehicle too closely, the driver does not have as much response time to stop, and road conditions such as potholes or ice may make it more difficult for the driver to stop and avoid crashing into another vehicle
- Excessive speed. Just as it is difficult for a truck to stop when they are following too closely, it can also be difficult for them to stop when traveling at high speeds. Because of the sheer size and weight of trucks, it takes them longer to get going and to stop than it does for other passenger vehicles. When truck drivers are traveling at excessive speeds, the risk of accidents greatly increases
Truck accidents are not always the fault of the driver, but when the cause of the accident is one of the above, negligence is definitely a factor. In cases where a truck driver’s negligence was the cause of an accident, victims can contact a truck accident lawyer in Oshawa to seek compensation.
Contacting an Oshawa Truck Accident Lawyer
Trucking companies, through their insurance companies and independently, have teams of lawyers to defend them, even when a truck driver has been negligent and has caused serious injury or death. Because of this, victims also need a lawyer to represent them from the very beginning.
If you or a loved one have been in a truck accident, contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. The insurance companies and legal teams for the truck driver will want to settle as soon as possible, for the lowest amount possible. An Oshawa truck accident lawyer can help you get the most compensation available.