When something as simple as a sign can prevent an injury, property owners need to do their part in taking such precautionary measures to provide a safe environment for their customers, residents, and visitors. Slip and fall accidents happen all the time and in most instances, they are needless because another person could have prevented the accident by cleaning up a mess and/or posting a sign. If you have been injured in a slippery floor accident, you need to take action to hold the property owner accountable for his or her actions so that similar accidents do not happen in the future.
Our slip and fall accident lawyers can meet with you in Thunder Bay for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Slippery, Wet, and Slick Floor Causes
There are a variety of substances that can result in a slippery floor, but some of them are more common than others. Some of the most common hazards that lead to slippery floor accidents include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Spilled drinks
- Rainwater, snow, or ice tracked indoors from the outside
- Liquid merchandise that has spilled inside the store, such as laundry detergent
- Plumbing that has leaked
- Poorly maintained air condition units that leak onto the floor
- Grease and oil tracked inside on workers’ boots
- Urine spills
- Floor soap or polish
- Dropped food
Property managers, owners, or other responsible parties are typically allowed a reasonable amount of time to find out about a hazardous condition and address it. However, if a floor is expected to stay slippery, a sign or cones warning others should be put into place. However, in some instances, a wet floor sign is not enough.
Failing to take care of a slick, wet, or slippery floor in a reasonable manner can lead to a premises liability claim against the property owner or other party if a person falls and suffers injuries. Certain types of flooring are known to be dangerous because they have a naturally slick surface. If the flooring material has contributed to the dangerous condition, the property owner may be held liable. An experienced slip and fall accident lawyer can help you understand who could be held liable for your injuries.
Thunder Bay Slippery Floor Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Injuries Resulting from a Slippery Floor Accident
Although some slip and fall injuries result in minor injuries, in other situations a person may suffer severe injuries such as broken bones, head trauma, neck injuries, or internal bleeding, especially if the person is older or has other health conditions. The treatment of such severe injuries may require extensive medical care, including surgery and rehabilitation. In some instances, the injured person may have a permanent disability due to their complex injuries.
An experienced slip and fall accident lawyer can help you prove that the business or property owner was guilty of negligence, as well as determine the value of your claim based on your injuries and ensure that you get enough compensation for your current medical expenses as well as those that you may have in the future due to your injuries.
What to do After Your Slippery Floor Accident
If you are injured due to a slippery floor accident, the way you handle things immediately after your accident can have a big impact on the outcome of your future claim. If you are able to, try to take the following steps if you have fallen and suffered injuries in a slippery floor accident:
- Call 911 and get emergency medical treatment, especially if you have suffered severe injuries. If you are unable to call for help, ask a friend, family member, or witness to do so for you.
- If you are able to, take pictures of the accident, including the ground where the accident occurred. Also, take pictures of the surrounding area in case there are security cameras they may have recorded a video of the accident. Take pictures of your injuries as well as the shoes and clothing that you were wearing.
- Save the shoes and clothing that you were wearing and do not wash them.
- Gather the names, phone numbers, and addresses of any witnesses who saw your fall. Their statements can make a big difference in your case.
- Write down everything that you remember about your accident, including anything that the manager or property owner said to you when you fell and any admission they may have made about the floor conditions.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Preventing Slippery Floor Accidents
Slippery floors are easily preventable. They may happen due to routine cleaning, leaks, inclement weather, and more. However, it is the responsibility of a property owner or occupier to maintain these conditions and take action to limit slippery floor accidents. A store owner should clean up slippery floors if possible, and if not, they need to mark off the wet floors with cones and signs so that visitors are aware to be careful in the area. In addition, moisture-absorbing mats can be placed in traffic areas that are prone to moisture issues to prevent slippery floors. Non-slip treading and tape can also be placed in certain areas to address slippery conditions before they develop.
Contact a Thunder Bay Slippery Floor Accident Lawyer Today
If you or your loved one has suffered injuries due to a slippery floor accident, you need to seek the assistance of the Preszler Injury Lawyers today. Our lawyers have been helping injured people obtain the compensation that they are entitled to for years, and we can help you too. We will work with medical professionals, investigators, financial specialists and more to ensure that you get the maximum compensation available. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.