London, Ontario Personal Injury Lawyer
Like many who suffer personal injuries in accidents, you may be wondering if you need a lawyer The answer to this question lies in your particular situation. An individual should ask themselves if they suffered severe injuries in the accident, if someone else’s negligence or reckless actions caused the accident and the injuries, and if the injuries impacted them emotionally and financially.
If you answered affirmatively to any of those questions, we encourage you to meet with a London, Ontario personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The process of pursuing a personal injury claim can be daunting.
There are complicated forms to complete, strict deadlines to meet, and evidence to collect. Not to mention the countless hours of telephone communications that take place between you and the insurance company.
When you hire a London, Ontario personal injury lawyer to handle your claim, they can ensure the insurance company does not wrongfully deny or delay your claim or offer to settle your claim quickly for little compensation.
Preparing the Claim
Time is critical in the days and weeks following an accident. An individual’s actions can directly affect their ability to seek full financial recovery. A person can start by:
- Following through with all medical treatment relating to the accident. It is critical to keep all of the doctor’s appointments and adhere to their orders regarding medications, rehabilitation, and therapy. Failure to do so may result in a denial of the claim or can reduce the amount of compensation received
- Keep detailed notes of any injuries and medical expenses. Records of any expenses such as paper bills and receipts are helpful when seeking reimbursement from the insurance company. Additionally, keeping a pain journal helps to demonstrate the limitations and suffering that injuries are causing on a daily basis
- Save any objects and documents associated with the accident. Evidence is critical to the success of a personal injury claim and proving the severity of the damages and other losses. Therefore, save every article related to the accident, from the damaged vehicle to damaged clothing
Process of Filing
The province’s negligence laws govern personal injury claims. Therefore, when a London, Ontario personal injury attorney handle’s a case, they work to establish that another person’s actions caused the accident. For a personal injury claim to be valid, another person must be partially responsible for the accident and the injuries. To demonstrate cause, a lawyer will gather evidence such as police reports and eyewitness statements and review the events leading up to the accident.
Further, a lawyer will determine that the injuries are a direct result of the accident. A lawyer must show through medical records and doctors’ statements that the injuries are a direct result of the accident and not pre-existing conditions.
Finally, a lawyer must determine that the damages suffered relate to the accident. There are two types of damages – those a lawyer can calculate with certainty, i.e., out-of-pocket medical expenses and lost wages, and others that are not subject to precise calculation such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and scarring. a London, Ontario personal injury lawyer work to paint a clear picture of the nature of your damages through both hard documentation and expert testimony.
Valuing a Claim
The factors listed above, and numerous others, make up the circumstances that will influence the value of the case. Each case is unique and will never produce the same outcome, even if the type of accident and injuries are the same. When assessing the value of your claim, a lawyer will examine the following issues:
- The cost of the complete medical treatment (including future expenses)
- The total amount of time an individual will miss from work because of the injuries
- Whether or not an individual has suffered a permanent disability
- Whether or not a person can return to work in any capacity
- How an individual’s injuries impact their quality of life currently and in the future.
Contacting a Lawyer
You do not have to concern yourself with being able to afford a London, Ontario personal injury lawyer at our firm. If you are experiencing severe physical and emotional distress, you cannot afford to wait any longer. Your lawyer can get started on your case immediately with no up-front fees. Additionally, we do not collect payment for our legal services until you receive the settlement you deserve.