Peterborough Motorcycle Lawyer
Particularly as the weather warms up, motorcycle riders take to Canadian roads and highways for the riding experience. While enjoyable, the riding experience can quickly turn into a nightmare if the motorcycle rider is involved in a motorcycle accident. Serious injuries commonly result from collisions involving motorcycles in Canada.
Because there are no barriers between a motorcycle rider and a car, truck, or bus, if the motorcycle rider survives a collision, catastrophic injuries almost always occur.
A Peterborough motorcycle accident lawyer helps motorcycle riders and passengers recover damages resulting from injuries following a motorcycle crash. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or killed following a motorcycle accident, contact a Peterborough motorcycle accident lawyer today to obtain a comprehensive case evaluation. An experienced injury lawyer can best help you fight for the compensation you are owed following an accident.
Motorcycle Accidents Statistics
In 2013, Transport Canada, released the findings of its annual collision report. About 1 in 10 motorcycle riders were killed following a motorcycle collision in Canada.
The number is not better and slightly higher for motorcycle crashes with severe injuries. Either way, around 10 percent of all motorcycle collision fatalities plus 10 percent of all serious injuries following a motorcycle collision affect motorcyclists.
Legal Obligations of Peterborough Motorcyclists
Motorcyclists who ride on Peterborough roadways must comply with the following rules and regulations for safe driving and protection of riders:
- Motorcycle Insurance: Motorcycle riders in Peterborough must purchase and maintain motorcycle insurance under the Highway Traffic Act and the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
- Motorcycle License: Motorcycle riders in Peterborough must obtain a motorcycle license to ride a motorcycle
- Motorcycle Registration: All motorcycles operated on Peterborough roadways must be registered
- Age Minimums for Passengers: Motorcycle passengers (not the rider-driver) under 16 years of age must wear a helmet with a chin strap in Peterborough
- Safety Equipment: Motorcycle riders must wear a helmet with a chin strap on all Peterborough roadways, including highways and side streets
Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders injured in motorcycle collisions often suffer catastrophic injuries. Some of them include:
- Head injuries like concussions or permanent brain damage
- Biker’s arm is a type of injury that occurs when a biker lands on their arm following impact causing break or fracture of the shoulder
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Facial disfigurement
- Road rash occurs when the motorcycle rider or passengers slide on the pavement or roadway following collision. Skin graft or permanent disfigurement can occur
- Broken pelvis, elbow, hip or wrists
Working with a Peterborough Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
There is no monetary obligation to meet and discuss your motorcycle accident case with a Peterborough motorcycle accident lawyer. No upfront fees are charged. Motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries and fatalities, and subsequent medical care and treatment can be expensive, along with any reconstructive surgeries to repair skin disfigurements or shattered facial bones.
A Peterborough motorcycle accident lawyer helps injured motorcycle riders and any passengers receive compensation for damages which include medical care and treatment, rehabilitative services, and emotional damages. Survivors of motorcycle accidents may take years to recover following a collision and future needs and medical care are also considered. Contact a Peterborough motorcycle accident lawyer today to schedule your case evaluation.