When you suffer a serious injury because of someone else’s negligence, you may find comfort in knowing you have the right to pursue compensation for your damages and losses. But you do not have to go on this journey alone. You can seek support and legal guidance from an experienced personal injury lawyer at the Preszler Law Firm.
For 60 years, our personal injury lawyers in Barrie have been helping accident victims and their families recover fair and full settlements from insurance companies working to accomplish the opposite. To learn more about how our Barrie personal injury lawyers can protect your best interest and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, call us at 1-800-JUSTICE® to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
Our personal injury lawyers can meet with you in Barrie for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
How Do I Know if I Have a Valid Personal Injury Claim?
Each injury claim is unique and has its set of circumstances that determine its validity.
However, two critical elements must be present in any valid personal injury claim. The first is liability. Our Barrie injury lawyers must be able to prove another party caused your accident. If you hit a tree because you were texting and driving, you are the only cause of the accident. However, if another driver runs a red light and hits your vehicle, s/he is at fault for causing the accident. The latter situation allows you to file a personal injury claim against the other driver’s insurance policy.
Another crucial element is whether the damages and losses you seek to recover are a direct result of the accident. You must have suffered physical or mental injuries in the accident and lost money because you were unable to work and had to cover the cost of your medical care.
Your insurance coverage can also play a role in whether or not you can file a claim for damages. Before you file, make sure you discuss your situation with a lawyer at our firm, so you are aware of your rights and responsibilities.
Barrie Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
What Should I Do After I Leave the Accident Scene?
There are three major steps to take following an accident.
- Seek medical attention. It is wise to see a doctor after being involved in an accident, even if you do not feel any pain. Some muscle injuries and head trauma do not cause physical signs until several days or even weeks after the accident. The sooner a doctor examines you, the sooner you can obtain a diagnosis and start treatment. The insurance company will be paying attention to your compliance in this area. Ignoring medical advice tells the insurance company that your injuries are not severe enough to require treatment.
- Avoid discussing your accident and injuries with anyone other than your lawyer. An insurance company representative (adjuster) will contact you shortly after your claim is filed to investigate your accident. The representative will ask questions about your injuries and how the accident happened. During this questioning, the adjuster will ask to record your conversation. We recommend meeting with a lawyer at our firm before you agree to a recorded statement. This way you avoid making damaging statements that could reduce the value of your claim.
- Do not sign a release to your medical records. When you sign a medical records release form, you grant the insurance company full access to your complete medical history. The insurance adjuster may look for ways to associate your accident injuries with previous medical issues found in your history. Our lawyers provide only the records the insurance company needs to investigate your claim. There is no reason for them to have access to your full medical history.
- Do not accept any settlement offers until your medical treatment is complete. Agreeing to an early offer to settle your claim will not be in your best interest. Early settlement offers will only include your current medical expenses and lost wages, not your future medical needs and quality of life. Before we accept a settlement, we estimate how long you will be out of work and your prognosis for recovery; then we negotiate a settlement that covers your future financial losses.
How Does a Lawyer Estimate the Value of My Personal Injury Claim?
When our Barrie lawyers assess the value of your claim, we take into account the following factors:
- The current cost of your medical expenses
- The projected cost of future medical expenses
- Your need for a caretaker or specialized medical equipment
- The cost of rehabilitation
- Your current and projected lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses
Some of the damages we list above such as pain and suffering and loss of consortium do not have exact values. When you work with a lawyer at our firm, he uses his knowledge of past cases to find similar settlements and base your claim for damages on those amounts. We look at your impairments to help make such a determination.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Meet with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Barrie for Free
Our law firm in Barrie knows how extraordinarily difficult these times can be for accident victims and their loved ones. Our services and process are designed to ease your burden and get you the compensation you deserve to move forward with your life. We can come to you in Barrie. Our Barrie personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay no up-front fees for our representation. Moreover, we do not collect any fees until you win a settlement.
Call us at 1-800-JUSTICE® to schedule your free consultation today. There is no obligation to hire us, so you can get the answers you need from our lawyers to make an informed decision on whether or not you want legal help on your side.