If you slip and fall on someone’s property, you should be able to recover compensation for your damages. But in reality, this is not as easy as a lot of people think it will be. Insurers may argue that your injuries are not related to your fall or not as severe as you say.
Do not let the insurance company intimidate you from obtaining the compensation you deserve. A slip and fall lawyer in London, Ontario can help you deal with the insurance company and recover compensation.
Our slip and fall accident lawyers can meet with you in London for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Building a Claim
The insurance company will investigate your accident and injuries. The insurer wants to make sure that you are actually injured, and wants to know how badly. To make sure your claim gives a complete picture of your accident and injuries, you must satisfy a few critical elements.
London Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Communicating with the Insurer
Be cautious of early communication with the insurer. Always be careful when talking to the insurance company, especially right after your accident. The insurer might try to get you to settle early, before you understand what happened or how severe your injuries are. Resist attempts to get you to give them a recorded statement or sign a settlement offer. Talk to London, Ontario slip and fall lawyer first.
Building a Medical History
It is important to build a medical history of your injuries. You will need thorough evidence of your injuries, from medical records to expert testimony. A London, Ontario slip and fall attorney secures this evidence for you and use it to build your case.
You can do several things to help ensure a London, Ontario slip and fall lawyer is able to build the strongest case possible. Some important things to do to build evidence of your injuries include:
- Visiting your doctor if you have not already. Even if your injuries seem minor, still go to the doctor for an evaluation
- Adhering to your treatment plan. If you do not, the insurance company may argue your injuries are not as serious as you claim. It may also argue your failure to follow doctor’s orders contributed to their severity
- Do not sign any medical release forms. If the insurance company asks you to sign one, send it to us first to review it
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Receiving Legal Representation
Talk to a lawyer early in the process. The sooner you involve a lawyer in your case, the sooner they can get to work. You have two years to file your claim, but if you wait too long, evidence may disappear and eyewitnesses may become more difficult to locate or unable to give an accurate testimony.
Your accident must meet specific criteria for the insurance company to cover your claim:
- You were on the property legally
- The owner or manager knew of a hazard, such as a spilled liquid or slick surface. Or the owner or manager should have known of the hazard
- The owner or manager did not clean up or warn of the dangerous condition
- You slipped and fell because of the dangerous condition
- You suffered injuries and damages because of your accident
Using surveillance video, a London, Ontario slip and fall attorney can establish that the dangerous condition existed and whether the owner was aware of it or should have been aware of it. A slip and fall lawyer also works with accident reconstruction experts and other expert witnesses to show what caused the accident.
Other evidence we may use to prove your case include:
- Eyewitness testimony
- Maintenance records
- Your medical records
Valuing a Claim
The value of your claim is dependent on the following:
- Your current and estimated future out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Ongoing rehabilitation costs
- In-home care
- Current and estimated future lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
The more severe your injuries, the higher your settlement should be. A London, Ontario slip and fall attorney will talk to medical and vocational experts, compile and present your medical records and document your lost wages, and share other evidence to establish the emotional and psychological effects of your injuries. This all helps a lawyer establish the value of your case when they negotiate with the insurance company or represent you in court.
Contacting a Lawyer
It is important for you to contact a lawyer sooner rather than later. A London, Ontario slip and fall lawyer can help you deal with the insurance company and recover any damages you may be entitled to.