If you suffered an injury because of another party’s negligence, whether that party acted intentionally or carelessly, you may be able to recover compensation to cover the cost of your medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
The Peterborough personal injury lawyers at the Preszler Law Firm have decades of experience helping people get the compensation they need and deserve after a serious injury. Call 1-800-JUSTICE to set up a consultation and review your case and how we can help you.
Our personal injury lawyers can meet with you in Peterborough for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
What Is a Personal Injury Claim?
When another person causes an accident in which you suffer injuries, you may be able to file a personal injury claim so you can recover compensation for the damages that you suffered in the accident. Common examples of accidents that lead to personal injury claims include:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Car and truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
For your claim to be successful, you will need to establish:
- The other person acted negligently (e.g., a store failed to clean up or warn of a puddle of water)
- Their actions caused your accident (e.g., you slipped in the puddle)
- You suffered damages (e.g., you suffered a herniated disc and accompanying medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering)
Peterborough Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
What Are the Most Important Dos and Don’ts After the Accident?
After a serious accident, your top priority is your health and protecting your right to file a personal injury claim so you can recover medically and financially. The following are tips that can help you protect your rights as you pursue a fair settlement.
Do: Seek medical care as soon as possible after your accident. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, you should still visit a doctor rather than treating your injuries at home. Doing so will not only help you get the care you need but will also document your injuries and you can use your medical paperwork as evidence in your personal injury claim.
Do: Follow your doctor’s orders. If you do not, the insurance company may argue that you made your injuries worse by failing to follow your doctor’s treatment plan, thus worsening or contributing to your injuries. If your doctor orders you to avoid lifting heavy objects, then heed the warning and avoid it. Failure to do so could allow the insurance company to argue that you made your injuries worse.
Don’t: Give a recorded statement to an insurance company. If the insurance adjuster asks for a recorded statement, politely decline. Inform the adjuster that you will first need to speak with your lawyer. If you give a recorded statement, the adjuster may misconstrue your words to justify denying or reducing your claim.
Don’t: Sign anything from the insurance company unless your lawyer has reviewed it first. You could be inadvertently signing away your legal rights by releasing your medical records or agreeing to a lowball settlement.
Do: Talk to a lawyer. A lawyer at the Preszler Law Firm will help you determine who is legally responsible for your accident and can advise you on your legal rights and options. We will also get to work collecting evidence, talking to expert witnesses, and building your case to establish the other party’s negligence, your injuries, and the value of your claim.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Every personal injury claim is unique, so it is impossible to say how much your claim is worth without having a personal injury lawyer review it first. Some of the types of damages you may be able to recover in a personal injury claim include:
- Medical Costs: Medical damages include your current medical bills (including doctor’s office and emergency room visits), ambulance fees, the cost of medication, and more. We will also work with medical experts to establish your prognosis and future medical costs, such as the cost of additional treatment, surgery, long-term medications, and even physical therapy.
- Lost Wages: If you must take time off work after your accident, you may be entitled to lost wages. We work with vocational experts as well as medical experts who can testify about limitations you face at work, such as those that may force you to take a lower-paying job or that may permanently reduce your earning capacity. For example, if you normally work on your feet, but have to take a desk job that pays less, you could receive compensation for the difference in pay.
- Pain and Suffering: You may be entitled to noneconomic damages like pain and suffering in addition to the economic costs of your injuries. Unlike medical costs and lost wages that have a specific number attached to them, pain and suffering damages do not, making them more difficult to calculate. We consider many different factors to help you value these damages, including the severity of your injuries and the emotional and psychological effects of the injuries.
No matter how much an insurance company offers you, you should speak with a lawyer before accepting the offer. Without a qualified lawyer’s review, you could be accepting a settlement amount that is unfairly low.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Consult a Lawyer at the Preszler Law Firm
Contact the personal injury lawyers at the Preszler Law Firm to set up your free, no-obligation consultation. We will listen to your story and advise you on the best course of action to pursue and recover the compensation you deserve. There are no upfront fees because we work on a contingency basis. This means you pay no fees unless we secure a settlement or lawsuit award on your behalf.
Call us today at 1-800-JUSTICE® to set up your free, no-obligation meeting.