Collingwood Catastrophic injury Lawyers
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious car accident can be overwhelming, especially if you have sustained a catastrophic injury. The physical, emotional, and financial tolls can be immense. On top of that, navigating the insurance claim process can be confusing and disheartening, especially if you believe your insurance provider has offered you less than what you deserve.
In Ontario, anyone who sustains injuries as the result of a motor vehicle collision should be able to claim accident benefits from an insurance provider. Provisions for no-fault accident benefits should be included in all basic auto insurance plans. That means that anyone who has sustained injuries as a result of the collision – even those whose errors behind the wheel contributed to the circumstances that caused the accident – should be entitled to accident benefits to offset the costs associated with their injuries.
The accident benefits available to injured survivors of motor vehicle collisions vary based on the severity of the injuries sustained by claimant’s. The province of Ontario’s Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) mandates that all basic auto insurance plans must include the following coverage:
- $3,500 in medical and rehabilitation benefits for accident victims who sustained minor injuries
- $65,000 over 5 years for the combined total costs of medical, rehabilitation, and attendant care benefits for accident victims who sustained non-minor, non-catastrophic injuries
- $1 million for life in combined medical, rehabilitation, and attendant care benefits for accident victims who sustained catastrophic injuries
Car accident survivors should be entitled to higher benefits amounts if their accident-related injuries meet the threshold of “catastrophic impairment.” In accordance with the official definition of this term included in the SABS, in order to be eligible for accident benefits commensurate with catastrophic impairments, a car accident survivors must have sustained at least one of the following criteria as a result of their collision:
- Paraplegia or Tetraplegia
- Severe impairment of ambulatory mobility or use of an arm; or Amputation
- Loss of Vision of Both Eyes
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) meeting the Glasgow Outcome Scale-Extended (GOS-E) criteria
- Physical Impairment or Combination of Physical Impairments (which results in 55% or more of whole person)
- Mental or Behavioural Impairment (excluding Traumatic Brain Injury) Combined with a Physical Impairment (which results in 55% or more impairment of the whole person)
- Marked impairment in three or more areas of function that precludes useful functioning; or an Extreme impairment in one or more areas of functioning due to mental or behavioural disorder
Insurance providers weigh multiple factors when determining catastrophic impairment. Unfortunately, insurance companies often dispute the claims of catastrophically impaired accident survivors and offer them unfairly low settlement amounts, or even deny claims altogether.
When insurers deny claims for accident benefits, catastrophically impaired accident survivors may not be able to cover their medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and ongoing care. Dealing with insurance companies and navigating the legal system can be complex and overwhelming, adding further stress to an already difficult situation.
How Our Collingwood Catastrophic Injury Lawyers May Be Able to Help
Our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Collingwood understand the challenges you may be facing. At Preszler Injury Lawyers, we are committed to helping accident survivors in the local community recover the benefits to which they are rightfully entitled.
If you have sustained a catastrophic injury in a motor vehicle accident and believe that your insurance provider is treating you unfairly, do not hesitate to contact our Collingwood catastrophic injury lawyers for a free initial consultation. We may be able to represent your best interests throughout the dispute resolution process with your insurance provider and fight on your behalf to help you get the compensation you deserve.
To take advantage of a free initial consultation with our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Collingwood, contact us today.