A cracked and defective or broken sidewalk is an eyesore, but it is much more than that. It is a hazard that has the potential to cause many people to get hurt. If something is wrong with the sidewalk and it is not smooth or even in the way that it should be, any person walking on the sidewalk could trip and get hurt. Although trips and falls caused by defective sidewalks can cause minor injuries, some people may experience major injuries that are severe enough to keep them from being able to complete basic daily tasks and require years of medical treatment and rehabilitative therapy.
If you have been injured after walking on a defective or broken sidewalk, there is a possibility that you can seek compensation to cover various expenses, including the cost of your medical bills. Some people seek compensation to help cover the wages they have missed out on earning due to taking time off work to recover from their injuries. Our experienced and skilled London personal injury lawyers have worked on many cases involved cracked, defective, and broken sidewalks in the past. We would like the opportunity to help you, too.
Our slip and fall accident lawyers can meet with you in London for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
The Causes of Defective Sidewalks
Sidewalks can become defective for many reasons. While the sidewalk may have initially been in good condition, these are some of the things that could have happened over time to cause the sidewalk to become cracked, broken, and defective:
- Natural disasters. When different types of natural disasters occur, they can cause severe damage to properties and the sidewalk. Even if the damage is not that noticeable, these natural disasters can cause cracks to develop on the sidewalk, leading to more serious damage over time.
- Tree roots that continue to grow. Some tree roots are problematic when they start to grow underneath the concrete, causing the sidewalk to become uneven. If these tree roots are not properly taken care of as soon as they become noticeable, the situation will only get worse and the sidewalk will only continue to become more dangerous for those who are walking on it.
- Construction work. If work is getting done on the sidewalk, it may be damaged. Workers would need to place work warning signs around the sidewalk to keep people from walking on it until the work is finished.
These are a few of the many causes of defective and damaged sidewalks that could potentially become hazardous to pedestrians.
London Cracked and Defective or Broken Sidewalks Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
The Types of Injuries a Person Can Sustain
An individual can easily sustain different types of injuries when walking on a sidewalk that is defective and damaged. The most common injuries that tend to occur as a direct result of defective sidewalks include:
- Many people hit their heads when they fall to the ground. If a person trips because the sidewalk is uneven or damaged and hits his or her head, that person could experience a blackout and even end up with a concussion, which is extremely dangerous. Some concussions lead to lasting brain injuries that negatively impact the way a person thinks, feels, and acts.
- Broken bones. It is not uncommon for someone to break a bone when he or she falls on the sidewalk. Because the sidewalk is made of rough, a hard landing could cause a person to break an arm, leg, or even a wrist.
- Open wounds. Depending on where the person lands and how it all happens, he or she could end up with open wounds and gashes.
The exact injuries will vary from one person to the next based on the situation and the way that the fall occurs. While some people may land on their buttocks and walk away without injury, others may put their hands out as a natural instinct to break the fall, which could lead to broken limbs. Some injuries are worse than others, including traumatic brain injuries and broken bones.
The Best Steps to Take After an Injury
If you get hurt when walking on a defective sidewalk, the first thing you should do is visit the hospital to have scans taken and to find out more on the extent of your injuries. Upon receiving treatment in the hospital, you should attempt to take pictures of the sidewalk to use as evidence to support your claims when filing a lawsuit. It is in your best interest to find a lawyer with experience helping people who have been in situations like yours.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Identifying the Liable Party
A lawyer can work with you to identify the liable party. The liable party is the person or people responsible for your injuries due to their negligence. For example, if the defective sidewalk was outside of a business, it is the business owner’s responsibility to take care of it, per the Occupiers Liability Act. Even if the defective sidewalk was outside of a residential area instead of a commercial building, you may still be able to seek compensation from the owner of that property for failing to have the sidewalk fixed.
Contacting the Right Lawyer
You can endure a lot of pain and suffering after falling because of a broken, cracked, or defective sidewalk. When you are walking around outside, you are not expecting to come across a damaged sidewalk that puts you and others at risk, but it can happen. If it has happened to you and you are not sure what to do, make sure that you have a responsible and experienced lawyer on your side throughout this process. It may be possible for you to recover damages based on your injuries. The amount of money you can receive will depend on different factors, including the extent of your injuries.
If you want to have a good slip, trip, and fall lawyer on your side, get in touch with Preszler Law today. We provide free consultations to our potential clients.