Head injuries can present a number of complex challenges. Fortunately, if another party was responsible for causing an accident that led to your injuries, it is possible to pursue compensation. It can help to understand some important details about the devastating nature of head injuries and how an experienced Mississauga personal injury lawyer can help injured victims obtain the compensation they deserve.
Our head injury lawyers can meet with you in Mississauga for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Common Types of Head Injuries
There are a number of common brain injuries, which include the following:
- This mild type of traumatic brain injury can cause a person to experience a few moments of confusion and later results in painful headaches and difficulties with balance. Repeated concussions can result in degenerative disease or chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) or dementia.
- Bruises on the brain are a common occurrence after a person experiences a direct impact. Swelling on the brain is a common occurrence following a contusion.
- Coup-contrecoup. This type of traumatic brain injury occurs when both sides of a person’s brain are damaged. This injury often occurs when the impact is so substantial against one side of the brain the other brain is forced against the opposite side of the skull.
- Diffuse axonal. This type of traumatic brain injury results in severe complications. Diffuse axonal injury occurs in approximately half of all severe head injuries.
- When some impact breaks a person’s skull and/or causes a foreign object to enter the person’s skull, very serious injuries can result. These injuries are classified as one of the most serious types of traumatic brain injuries and frequently require brain surgery.
Mississauga Head Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Common Causes of Head Injuries
There are a number of ways that traumatic brain injuries are caused. Some of the most common causes of these injuries include the following:
- Falls from heights. When people fall from heights like ladders or roofs, it is common for brain injuries to occur. Getting struck by falling objects can also result in traumatic brain injuries.
- Medical negligence. Many children experience brain damage as a result of negligence by medical professionals. Traumatic brain injuries to newborns is a common result of the improper use of forceps. Another common cause of traumatic brain injuries is negligence that occurs during some surgeries.
- Motor vehicle accidents. When a motorist is ejected from a vehicle or is involved in a collision, it is common for traumatic brain injuries to occur.
- Slip and fall accidents. Accidents can occur when property owners allow dangerous conditions to remain on their property that causes others to slip and fall. These dangerous elements can include pools of liquid, improperly maintained carpeting, uneven surfaces, inadequate lighting, and broken handrails.
- Many people who are engaged in sports and recreational activities face traumatic brain injuries. Young adults often experience permanent brain damage as a result of failure to provide adequate protective equipment.
The Nature of Head and Brain Injuries
There are two types of brain injuries:
- Acquired brain injuries are caused by a number of factors including a lack of oxygen.
- Traumatic brain injuries occur as a result of external factors. These injuries can result when a person is hit by an object, hits an object, or experiences jolting. Traumatic brain injuries can impact a person in a number of ways, such as decreased memory, reasoning, speaking, understanding, and control of emotions.
Fortunately, some people are able to recover from traumatic brain injuries and return to life how it was before the accident. Other people end up needing long-term care and assistance, which can be quite costly. For this reason, it is important to have a skilled personal injury in your corner to help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Signs of Traumatic Brain Injuries
It is a wise idea for anyone who experienced a head or brain injury to receive prompt medical attention. The exact signs and symptoms that indicate a brain injury has occurred will depend on the degree of the injury:
- Mild traumatic brain injuries. A person with this condition might remain conscious or may experience a brief loss of consciousness. Some of the most common symptoms associated with mild traumatic brain injuries include blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, headaches, lightheadedness, and fatigue.
- Moderate to severe traumatic brain injuries. This category of brain injuries is more serious in nature than mild traumatic brain injuries. A person with a moderate or severe traumatic brain injury can end up experiencing a headache that increases in severity, repeated nausea, seizures, dilation of one or both pupils, slurred speech, numbness of the extremities, and confusion.
The Costs of Head Injuries
A person who has experienced a traumatic brain injury can end up requiring medical care in the form of X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, surgery, medication, and rehabilitation. In many cases, a person with a traumatic brain injury requires a team of treatment professionals including a primary care physician, neurologist, surgeon, and physical therapist.
The costs for the care that traumatic brain injury victims need often falls within the range of hundreds of thousands of dollars within a short period of time. For the rest of a person’s life, the amount necessary might reach millions of dollars.
Ontario Insurance Laws and Head Injuries
The law states that in the case of injury-related insurance claims, the amount of compensation that a victim ultimately receives may be limited by the value of the insurance policy. Also, to obtain compensation, negligence by the at-fault party must have led to the damages.
To navigate these and other complex matters with insurance companies, brain injury victims need the assistance of an experienced accident lawyer.
Speak with an Experienced Mississauga Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has suffered a head injury and is uncertain about what steps to take to pursue compensation, reach out to a personal injury lawyer today. Contact Preszler Law Firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.