Failure To Heed Traffic
If you or a loved one were injured because another driver failed to pay attention to traffic signals, you might be able to obtain compensation for the resulting injuries.
The experienced personal injury lawyers at Preszler Law remain committed to fighting for the compensation that accident victims deserve. We understand the complications that can result from an accident and we can help you navigate the complex legal system so that you can focus on your health and recovery.
Reasons to Follow Traffic Signs
There are a number of reasons why drivers should make sure to follow traffic signs and signals while on the road, which includes the following:
- Signs keep motorists safe. Many accidents involving traffic signs occur because a driver is careless. By following all traffic signs and signals, you help keep everyone safe around you. While drivers should strive to follow all traffic signs and signals they pass, they should assume that not everyone else on the road is following all traffic signals.
- Signs alert drivers of unseen dangers. Signs inform drivers about conditions that are not always visible. Some signs provide drivers with an understanding of temporary conditions. Other signs warn drivers about weather conditions, while another category of signs informs drivers about animal crossings. Drivers should always avoid the assumption that all dangerous conditions on the road are capable of being immediately spotted by the naked eye. Trust that a deer might be about to jump into the road when you see a deer crossing sign, even though you might not see any deer in the immediate vicinity.
- Failure to follow signs results in penalties. By failing to obey traffic signs, you can end up facing demerit points and fines. Based on previous traffic violations, these penalties can quickly add up. By following all traffic signs and signals, you can save money and protect yourself from criminal penalties, as well as save your life as well as the lives of others on the road.
Common Signs and Signals in Ontario
There are a number of signs and signals that drivers encounter while on the road, such as:
- Direction/information signs. These signs provide motor vehicle drivers with information regarding the roads, the direction of traffic flow, and preferred routes in an area. Often green and large, these signs help drivers navigate the road.
- Regulatory signs. These signs provide directions that motor vehicle operators must follow. In most cases, these signs are rectangular and painted in black and white with a single bright color for the text. Signs that are in red mean a driver should avoid the described activity, while signs in green mean the activity is allowed.
- Temporary conditions. Any conditions that are temporary but about which drivers must know are placed on temporary condition signs. These signs are often diamond-shaped as well as painted black and orange to increase visibility for passing motorists. Temporary conditions might include road work, detours, etc.
- Traffic signals. Motor vehicle operators, as well as pedestrians, receive instructions about how to proceed by traffic signals. For example, many of us understand that green lights mean proceed, while red lights mean stop. Drivers are able to stay safe while on the road by following these signals.
- Warning signs. Dangerous conditions on the road are marked by warning signs that are often depicted through the use of bright yellow, diamond-shaped signs that contain black lettering. Warning signs are critical to making sure that drivers remain safe while on the road, avoiding hazards and hazardous behavior.
Who Do Drivers Ignore Traffic Signs?
There are a number of reasons why people fail to follow traffic signs, which include the following:
- Drivers do not think they will be caught. There are some drivers who decline to follow traffic signs because they do not think there is a risk of being caught. This behavior can create a substantial danger for other motorists on the road.
- While many of us understand the dangers presented by combining alcohol and drugs with motor vehicle operation, each year a number of drivers end up in serious accidents because they fail to follow traffic signals due to alcohol and/or drugs.
- Drivers deem a sign unnecessary. Some motor vehicle operators believe that traffic signals are not necessary and as a result, decide not to follow these signs. This type of driving pattern can quickly lead to accidents resulting in serious injuries or fatalities.
Common Types of Accidents Caused by Failure to Follow Traffic Signals
When motor vehicle operators decide to ignore traffic signs or signals, they cause accidents. Some of the most common types of accidents that result include the following:
- Head-on collisions. These accidents occur when one vehicle enters the path of a second vehicle that is headed in the opposite direction. These accidents often have catastrophic consequences such as life-changing injuries and death.
- Intersection collisions. Accidents that occur at intersections are commonly caused by negligent motor vehicle operators. Intersection accidents can include head-on collisions, side-impact collisions, and rear-end collisions. These accidents can result in life-changing injuries, particularly when vehicles are struck from the side.
- Vehicle pedestrian accidents. When motor vehicle operators do not obey traffic signs, they can end up striking pedestrians who are either close to or crossing the road. If vehicles are traveling at excessive rates of speed, it is common for serious injuries and fatalities to result from pedestrian accidents.
Suggestions to Make Sure You Follow Traffic Signs
There are a number of motor vehicle patterns that drivers can follow to decrease the risk of avoiding traffic signs or signals while on the road. These suggestions include:
- Make sure to follow all traffic signs that you pass, even if you do not believe that they are necessary. There are reasons why the signs were placed there.
- Focus on the road while operating a motor vehicle. There are a number of causes of distraction while behind the wheel, including eating, putting on makeup, playing with the radio, and talking or texting on cell phones.
- To reduce the risk of being harmed by other drivers who fail to follow traffic signals, be cautious of other drivers on the road and do not expect them to obey all of the traffic signs and signals that they pass.
Speak with an Experienced Ottawa Car Accident Lawyer
When motor vehicle drivers fail to follow traffic signals, accident victims encounter serious consequences that last the rest of their lives. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident because another driver failed to heed traffic signs, you should not hesitate to speak with an experienced lawyer today at Preszler Injury Lawyers.