Many different kinds of accidents can result in neck injuries. Whether they were sustained in a car accident or a trip and fall, neck injuries can be very dangerous, according to the Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Injuries that crush or penetrate the neck can compromise an accident victim’s breathing. Similarly, major blood vessels like the jugular veins could bleed profusely following an accident. These symptoms could rapidly deteriorate into life-threatening situations. Other common neck injuries resulting from accidents include:
- Bulging or herniated discs: Victims may experience pain in their back, neck, or shoulders, a reduced range of motion, and numbness or tingling in their arms, fingers, or shoulders.
- Whiplash: Some of the most common symptoms of whiplash include back pain, dizziness, headaches, neck pain or stiffness, and shoulder pain.
- Spinal cord injuries in the neck: If the vertebral spine is damaged in an accident, victims may lose mobility or sensation in their extremities.
- And more
If someone else’s negligence caused you to sustain these types of injuries, an Ottawa neck injuries lawyer may be able to help you seek compensation from the responsible parties.
Our slip and fall accident lawyers can meet with you in Ottawa for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Establishing Fault in an Accident Resulting in Neck Injuries
In order to recover costs for damages incurred as a result of neck injuries sustained on someone else’s property, an Ottawa neck injuries lawyer may be able to help exhibit proof of the at-fault party’s negligence. Owners of both commercial and residential properties have a duty of care to their property’s rightful visitors. An owner’s failure to uphold that duty can result in accidents on their premises, which may lead to injuries.
In these circumstances, a neck injury lawyer may be able to help their clients prove that a property owner’s negligent behaviours directly led to their accident and that this avoidable accident was the primary cause of their client’s injuries.
Ottawa Neck Injury Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Recovering Damages for Neck Injuries
If another party’s negligence was the primary cause of an accident resulting in neck injuries, victims may be eligible to pursue compensation for costs they incurred. An Ottawa neck injuries lawyer may be able to help eligible victims determine the total cost of their recoverable damages. These damages may include:
- Future cost of care: Severe neck injuries may require victims to pay for on-going, live-in assistance, as well as housekeeping aid.
- Future loss of working capacity: Accident victims with significant neck injuries may be unable to return to work as a result of their accident.
- Loss of income: Any income and commission payments the victim could have received had they not been injured in an accident.
- Special damages: Examples of these damages include crutches or braces, massage therapy bills, physiotherapy expenses, and prescription costs.
An Ottawa neck injuries lawyer representing an accident victim might present various forms of evidence to help their client recover damages. These types of evidence include:
- Medical records
- Photos and video surveillance of the accident scene
- Police reports
- Proof of lost income and wages
- Statements from eyewitnesses
Contact Preszler Injury Lawyers Today
If you sustained neck injuries in an accident in the Ottawa region, Preszler Injury Lawyers may be able to provide useful assistance and legal advice. To discuss the circumstances of your accident today in a free, initial consultation, call (888) 541-7603.