Parry Sound Catastrophic injury Lawyers
Nothing can prepare a person for a sudden, unexpected, and traumatic event like a motor vehicle collision. Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be incredibly overwhelming, especially for those who have suffered catastrophic impairments as a result of the collision. These permanent, severe injuries have the potential to derail the entire course of an accident victim’s life, impacting their long-term physical, emotional, and financial well-being in perpetuity.
As a result of their catastrophic impairments, injured accident victims may find it impossible to continue working in their current occupational field. This may substantially impact their abilities to continue supporting themselves and loved ones and significantly reduce their future earning capacity. Coupled with the overwhelming financial burden of injury-related medical expenses, the inability to continue earning their regular wages can profoundly alter a catastrophically impaired accident survivor’s overall quality of life.
Our Parry Sound catastrophic injury lawyers understand the challenges faced by survivors of motor vehicle collisions, especially those who have been offered unfairly low settlement amounts from their insurance provider. We are proud to provide the clients we represent with support and legal guidance through the dispute resolution process with insurance companies and strive to help them get the accident benefits to which they should be rightfully entitled.
In Ontario, the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) sets clear parameters and qualifying criteria for accident benefits based on the severity of injuries sustained by car accident survivors. All basic auto insurance plans in the province must include provisions for the following coverage, as mandated by the SABS:
- $3,500 in medical and rehabilitation benefits for accident victims who sustained minor injuries
- $65,000 over 5 years for the combined total costs of medical, rehabilitation, and attendant care benefits for accident victims who sustained non-minor, non-catastrophic injuries
- $1 million for life in combined medical, rehabilitation, and attendant care benefits for accident victims who sustained catastrophic injuries
When evaluating a claimant’s application for accident benefits an insurance company will consider certain factors before issuing a determination of catastrophic impairment. According to the SABS, catastrophic impairment is defined by specific outcomes resulting from a motor vehicle accident. These include:
- Paraplegia or Tetraplegia
- Severe impairment of ambulatory mobility or use of an arm; or Amputation
- Loss of Vision of Both Eyes
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) meeting the Glasgow Outcome Scale-Extended (GOS-E) criteria
- Physical Impairment or Combination of Physical Impairments (which results in 55% or more of whole person)
- Mental or Behavioural Impairment (excluding Traumatic Brain Injury) Combined with a Physical Impairment (which results in 55% or more impairment of the whole person)
- Marked impairment in three or more areas of function that precludes useful functioning; or an Extreme impairment in one or more areas of functioning due to mental or behavioural disorder
Even with medical proof and assessments from physicians in the form of an OCF-19 form, insurers may still deny the claim of a catastrophically impaired accident survivor. They may dispute the severity of the injuries or offer a settlement amount that does not fully account for the patient’s impairment. In such situations, seeking legal assistance from our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Parry Sound could be crucial.
Our Parry Sound catastrophic injury lawyers have a proven track record of fighting for the rights of our clients. We are dedicated to helping accident survivors receive the fair treatment and compensation they deserve. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that catastrophic injuries can have on individuals and their families, and we are committed to providing personalized legal support to navigate the dispute resolution process with insurance companies.
Call Today for a Free Initial Consultation
At Preszler Injury Lawyers, we offer a free initial consultation to all prospective clients. Our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Parry Sound are here to listen to your story, and to provide personalized, case-specific legal feedback about options that might be available to you. To schedule your free consultation, contact us today.