There were over 300 traffic accidents causing personal injury each day in Canada in 2014, according to Transport Canada. Most accident victims do not fully understand their rights after an accident or how to handle their insurance claims correctly.
Additionally, it is tough to manage all of the paperwork, critical deadlines, and requests for more information from the insurance company when you are recovering from your injuries. If you suffered physical and financial harm in a car accident and are unsure of your next steps, we encourage you to contact a car accident lawyer in Scarborough. An experienced injury lawyer can take you through the steps of filing a lawsuit and ensure you know what to expect throughout the legal process.
Our car accident lawyers can meet with you in Scarborough for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Car Accident Claims Process
Ontario has a “no-fault” car accident system. No-fault does not mean no one is at fault for an accident, but that everyone involved in an accident is entitled to some compensation from their insurance companies, regardless of who was at fault.
Every driver in the province is required to carry a standard auto insurance policy consisting of the following coverages:
- Third-Party Liability Coverage – pays for the other parties’ damages if they take legal action against you
- Statutory Accident Benefits Coverage – provides you with benefits if you are hurt, irrespective of fault, including supplementary medical, rehabilitation and attendant care, caregiver, non-earner, and income replacement benefits
- Direct Compensation – Property Damage (DC-PD) Coverage – covers damage to your vehicle if another person was at fault
- Uninsured Automobile Coverage – protects you if a hit-and-run driver or an uninsured motorist hurts you
When you are in an accident, you will have to report the event to your insurance company to begin the claims process. The claims adjuster will contact you soon after reporting the incident to obtain details about the crash, your injuries, and other damages stemming from the accident. The objective of the conversation is to assess your damages and assign each party a degree of fault. The adjuster may ask to record your conversation.
Before reporting your accident or speaking with the insurance adjuster, however, we encourage you to discuss your case with a car accident lawyer in Scarborough. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses notorious for denying claims and paying low settlements. To protect your right to maximum compensation for your damages, seek guidance from an experienced lawyer at our firm who can fight on your behalf for what is fair.
Scarborough Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Fault and Liability
Though Ontario follows a no-fault system, fault still plays a significant role in your case. For every car crash that occurs in Scarborough, the insurance company assigns each party a degree of error. The extent of your fault determines the accident benefits available to you.
If the other driver was at fault for causing the accident and your injuries are severe, a Scarborough car accident lawyer can help you explore other avenues of financial recovery beyond your accident benefits. Not only can they help you secure the appropriate amount of accident benefits, but we can also help you file a personal injury claim to cover any remaining portion of your existing and future expenses and income losses.
The value of your case hinges on several factors, including the severity of your injuries, the types of auto insurance coverage you have, and your degree of fault. Your accident benefits may cover up to $65,000 in medical, rehabilitation, and attendant care expenses for non-catastrophic injuries. If your injuries are catastrophic, the benefit amount may increase to $1 million. However, if the insurer deems your injury “minor,” the insurer can legally limit your accident benefits to $3,500.
It is not uncommon for the insurance company to look for ways to reduce the value of your claim. A couple of the tactics it may employ is getting you to say something damaging on record about the accident or your injuries, or it may take advantage of the financial hardship you are experiencing and offer to settle your claim quickly (often for much less than what it is worth).
Do not let this situation happen to you. The sooner you take action, the better it will be for your case. There are plenty of accident benefits available to you, and depending on your particular circumstances, you may be eligible for caregiver benefits, death benefits, and pain and suffering.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Role of a Lawyer
A seasoned car accident lawyer in Scarborough will work with you to:
- Carefully calculate the total value of your current and future losses. This estimate allows the lawyer to build a strong case for maximum compensation. We can work with medical experts and financial analysts to ensure the insurance company accounts for all of your losses
- Identify all responsible parties to ensure you are not wrongfully held liable for the accident
- Dispute any settlement offers that do not cover the full extent of your damages
- Take your case to trial and fight for full compensation if out-of-court negotiations are not successful
An experienced car accident lawyer in Scarborough will listen to your story, answer your most pressing questions, and offer their professional opinion about your ability to recover your financial losses.