A slip and fall accident brings a lot of questions, from how to pay for medical bills to how to prove a property owner is liable for the accident. If you have recently been hurt after falling on another’s property, it is important to get a clear understanding of your rights and take action to recover your losses with the help of an experienced injury attorney.
An experienced Scarborough slip and fall lawyer can explain your legal options and help you pursue maximum compensation for your losses.
Our slip and fall accident lawyers can meet with you in Scarborough for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Immediately Following a Fall
- Seek medical care. Your health and well-being are top priority. Your first concern is to get medically evaluated, even if you don’t think your injuries are serious. This is important not only because you might have injuries that have yet to manifest, but it will also protect you, legally speaking. Insurance companies may deny your claim if you do not have medical records documenting your injuriesf
- Collect evidence. Gather any evidence you can about the incident, such as photos of the scene and eyewitness information. The property owner and/or insurance company may try to dispute fault and liability, and you will need evidence like this to prove your case
- An experienced slip and fall lawyer in Scarborough will collect supportive evidence that demonstrates liability, like footage of the accident from security cameras and eyewitness testimony, and will negotiate with the insurance company
- Talk to a lawyer. Speak to a slip and fall lawyer about your case to protect your rights, preferably before you file any paperwork or speak to any insurance adjusters. It is not uncommon for insurers to record your statements and use them to discredit your claim. They are also known for offering settlements that are much lower than claimants deserve. Do not agree to a recorded statement and do not sign anything until you consult your Scarborough slip and fall attorney
Scarborough Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Validity of a Claim
If you slipped and fell on another individual’s or a business’s property, you might be able to file a claim with their homeowner’s or liability insurance company. You may have a valid slip and fall claim if:
- You were legally on the premises.
- The owner knew about or should have known about the hazard.
- The owner failed to fix the hazard or warn you about it.
- You slipped and fell because of the owner’s negligence.
- You sustained injuries in the fall that resulted in damages.
Be forewarned that even if you think your case is straightforward, it does not mean you will automatically win. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses and do not like to shell out large checks to victims. They might try pin blame for the accident on you, say you were trespassing, or dispute the severity of your losses, all to minimize how much they have to pay you.
Our slip and fall lawyers in Scarborough will be prepared for these types of accusations and be ready with the evidence we collect to support your case. We may even work with expert witnesses who can testify about the cause of your accident and connect your injuries and damages to the slip and fall.
You are entitled to pursue compensation for all your injury-related losses. This includes financial losses such as for medical bills and lost wages, as well as emotional damages like pain and suffering. Each case is unique. The overall value of your case depends on the severity of your injuries and what types of expenses you have.
Scarborough slip and fall lawyers will help calculate the value of your slip and fall case and make sure the insurance company considers the full value of your current and future losses. They may consult medical and financial experts to get a clear picture of your damages. Rest assured, they will take all reasonable measures to pursue appropriate compensation on your behalf.