Sudbury Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents can result in severe injuries, extended recovery periods and hospitalizations, an inability to return to the workforce, and even more devastating consequences. If the reckless behaviour of a driver or another party caused you to sustain injuries in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible to seek compensation for damages you incurred as a result.
The process of pursuing accountability and restitution can be arduous even in the best of health. Injured victims of bicycle accidents may have difficulty navigating the process of seeking compensation while focusing on their recovery. The assistance of a Sudbury bicycle accident lawyer may prove invaluable in your pursuit of financial compensation for injuries you’ve sustained because of someone else’s negligence.
In addition to investigating your accident and gathering evidence to substantiate your claim, a bicycle accident lawyer serving Sudbury may be able to provide you with assistance by:
- Answering your questions and providing legal advice
- Filing all relevant paperwork in accordance with official deadlines
- Communicating with all parties involved, including insurance companies
- Negotiating a settlement offer on your behalf
- Representing your case in court, if necessary
Tips for Bicycle Safety in Sudbury
Bicycle accidents resulting in injuries are often caused by another party’s negligence. Even the safest, most responsible cyclist is susceptible to serious injuries as the result of a collision on their bikes. That said, some practical safety measures could help increase cyclists’ visibility on the road, and help shield them against certain injuries.
Per the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), bicycle riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet. Additionally, the Highway Traffic Act requires all bicycles to be equipped with a bell and reflectors or reflective tape.
According to Public Health Sudbury and Districts (PHSD), other important tips for safe cycling include:
- Wear bright clothing
- Use eye protection, like wraparound sunglasses
- Obey traffic signs and signals
- Ride the right way down one-way streets
- Use turn signals or indicate turns with hand signals
- Avoid riding on crosswalks
- Yield to pedestrians
While these safety measures are good habits for Sudbury cyclists to incorporate into their daily rides, the negligence of a driver on the road or another party could cause a bicycle rider to sustain serious injuries.
Common Injuries Sustained in Bicycle Accident
Aside from a helmet, cyclists are virtually unprotected from the dangers of the road. As a result, bicycle riders involved in a collision can sustain a variety of injuries. The severity of these resulting injuries could range from minor scrapes and bruises to life-threatening conditions. Examples of injuries commonly sustained in bicycle accidents include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Cuts, scrapes, or bruises
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, seeking immediate medical attention can be crucial, even if you believe you sustained only minor or negligible injuries. The effects of shock following a collision could temporarily delay or diminish the severity of serious injuries. Consulting a medical professional as soon as possible could provide you with a thorough assessment of your injuries and an effective treatment plan.
Establishing Fault for Sudbury Bicycle Accidents
If the negligence of a driver or another party causes a bicycle accident resulting in injuries, that negligent party may be required to pay damages incurred by the victim as a result. Examples of driver negligence that could cause a collision with a bicycle include:
- Distracted driving, which includes texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive driving, such as speeding
- Turning into the cyclist (i.e. “hooking”)
- Striking the cyclist with their door (i.e. “dooring”)
- Other violations of traffic rules
A bicycle accident lawyer serving Northern Ontario may be able to compile and analyze various forms of evidence to prove that another party’s negligence was the primary cause of your bicycle accident. These types of evidence may include:
- Photos or video footage of the accident
- Witness statements
- Reports filed by law enforcement
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
In addition to gathering evidence proving the responsible party’s liability, a Sudbury bicycle accident may be able to compile and present evidence documenting the total cost of damages you incurred as a result of your injuries.
Recovering Damages from a Bicycle Accident Case
If another driver’s negligence was the primary cause of a bicycle accident in which you sustained serious injuries, you may be eligible to seek compensation through direct legal action. The assistance of a Sudbury bicycle accident lawyer may help you pursue damages to cover the following costs:
- Medical expenses
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- Lost income due to an inability to work
- The potential loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Potential punitive damages against the negligent driver
- And possibly more
Tragically, many bicycle accidents result in the wrongful death of the person riding the bicycle. If you lost a family member as the result of a bicycle accident, a Sudbury lawyer may be able to help you collect damages you incurred as a result of their passing.
Contact Preszler Injury Lawyers Today
If you are suffering from injuries sustained in a bicycle accident caused by a negligent driver, a Sudbury bicycle accident lawyer may be able to provide useful assistance, so you can focus on your recovery. Call Preszler Injury Lawyers today for a free, initial consultation.