Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere and can result in serious injuries. Many of these accidents are preventable and are often caused by another property owner’s negligence. In accordance with the Ontario Occupiers’ Liability Act, property owners must ensure that the interior and exterior conditions of their buildings are safe for customers, employees, tenants, visitors, and other rightful passersby. A property owner’s failure to properly maintain their premises can result in accidents with serious repercussions.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident on another party’s property, a Sudbury slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to provide you with useful assistance and advice about your eligibility to pursue compensation.
Our slip and fall injury lawyers can meet with you in Sudbury for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Sudbury
Slips and fall accidents can occur on both commercial and residential properties, both indoors on the building’s exterior property. In Sudbury, some common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Greasy, oily, or wet surfaces
- Weather-related hazards such as uncleared ice and snow
- Loose or unanchored rugs or mats
- Spilled liquids
- Uneven surfaces
- And more
Property owners are responsible for making sure their properties are maintained in order to avoid accidental injuries on their premises. The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) provides the following suggestions for the prevention of slip and fall accidents:
- Clean up spills immediately after they occur
- Mark all wet surfaces and spills
- Sweep or mop debris accumulated on the floor
- Keep walkways free of obstacles and clutter
- Secure carpets, mats, and rugs
- Keep filing cabinets and storage drawers closed
- Cover any power cables crossing
- Repair or replace faulty light switches and bulbs
Property owners might be held liable for slip and fall injuries if they fail to take reasonable steps to prevent injuries on their property. These steps may include routine property inspections and maintenance, as well as properly warning individuals of any potential hazards on the premises.
Sudbury Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
According to the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), over 80% of senior citizens requiring hospitalization were injured in a slip and fall accident. Depending on various circumstances of the accident, including the victim’s age, a slip and fall accident resulting from a property owner’s negligence can have substantial consequences.
Common Injuries From Slip and Fall Accidents
Common slip and fall injuries can range from mild to severe. In extremely unfortunate circumstances, accident victims may endure long periods of recovery, and may never fully heal from their injuries.
Injuries commonly sustained in a slip and fall accident include the following:
- Bruises and cuts
- Broken or fractured bones
- Knee damage
- Muscle strain or dislocated shoulders
- Nerve or spine damage
- Sprained ankles or wrists
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- And more
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recovering Damages from a Slip and Fall Injury in Sudbury
If your slip and fall injury on someone else’s Sudbury property was caused by another party’s negligence, you may be eligible to recover damages for costs incurred as a result of your injuries. If eligible, a Sudbury slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to help collect evidence proving a property owner’s negligence and support the claim that your injuries were sustained as a result of that negligence.
Victims injured in a slip and fall accidents may be able to recover damages for:
- Pain and suffering, and the loss of enjoyment of life
- Wages lost as a result of being unable to return to work
- Future loss of wage
- Home maintenance and housekeeping expenses
- Medical expenses, including rehabilitation
- And more if you qualify
A Sudbury slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to help victims recover damages through the collection and analysis of various types of evidence, including:
- Eyewitness statements
- Medical reports regarding the severity of injuries sustained as a result of the accident
- Incident reports from appropriate authorities at the scene of the accident
- Video surveillance footage of the slip and fall accident
- Photos of hazardous conditions at the accident scene
- Financial statements illustrating the victim’s loss of income as a result of injuries sustained in the slip and fall accident
- And possibly more
Consult with a Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Serving Sudbury Today
Slip and fall accidents have the potential to cause unsuspecting victims serious injuries. Because of someone else’s negligence, accident victims may endure sustained physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial distress. If you have been injured in a slip and fall on someone else’s Sudbury property, an accident lawyer may be able to help you seek accountability and restitution. Call Preszler Injury Lawyers today at (888) 541-7603 to discuss your case’s details in a free initial consultation.