Failure to Obey Traffic Signals
Driving in Toronto can be frustrating. But when motorists fail to obey their traffic signals, driving in Toronto can also be lethal. Collisions with careless or reckless drivers can result in fatalities, as well as severe, catastrophic injuries.
If a driver’s failure to obey traffic signals caused a collision in which you sustained serious injuries, a Toronto car accident lawyer may be able to help you navigate the process of seeking accident benefits, or recovering damages through legal action.
Obeying Traffic Signals in Ontario
In order to safely share the road with the millions of licensed drivers in the city of Toronto, all motorists are responsible for responding to traffic signals. In the province of Ontario, a driver’s failure to obey traffic signals may result in an accumulation of demerit points. All it takes is one driver ignoring the rules to cause a collision.
There are several different types of traffic signals, according to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO). These traffic signals are categorized as follows:
Regulatory Signs: Stationary roadside signs providing necessary information about how to proceed on the road.
- Warning Signs: These signs alert drivers to unusual conditions ahead, such as sharp curves or roundabouts, which may quickly create new traffic patterns.
- Temporary Condition Signs: Displayed when regular road conditions have been altered, these signs may alert drivers to oncoming hazardous conditions, such as construction work.
- Traffic lights
Steps to Take After an Accident
Drivers who fail to obey their traffic signals could cause collisions resulting in serious injuries. If you’ve been involved in an accident, taking some important, immediate actions could help medical professionals properly assess the severity of injuries you may have sustained and might assist you in any future legal action. These actions include:
- Alerting authorities
- Recording notes about the accident while it’s fresh in your mind.
- Talking to any eyewitnesses and requesting their names and contact information.
- Seeking medical attention as soon as possible
Recovering Damages from a Toronto Car Accident
There are a number of ways a driver’s failure to obey traffic signals could result in an injury-causing collision. Driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street, running a red light, failing to slow down at a school crossing, and countless other rule infractions can cause serious accidents to occur.
If you’ve been injured as the result of a driver’s failure to obey traffic signals, a Toronto car may be able to help recover damages for the following:
- Medical expenses, including doctor bills and hospital costs
- Medical supplies, such as crutches, wheelchair, splints, and more
- Lost wages from an inability to work
- Monetary compensation for loss of future earnings
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
In order to help injured accident victims recover damages for costs incurred, a Toronto car accident lawyer may collect and analyze various forms of evidence, such as eyewitness statements, police reports, and more. A lawyer might also be able to work with their client to calculate the total losses they accumulated from a collision with a driver who failed to obey their traffic signals. To do so, a car accident lawyer may consult with medical experts and analyze their client’s financial statements, in addition to other possible actions.
Contact Preszler Injury Lawyers Today
If another driver’s failure to obey traffic signals caused an accident in which you sustained injuries, a Toronto car accident lawyer may be able to help you seek accountability and restitution. Contact Preszler Injury Lawyers today to see if you’re eligible to pursue financial compensation. Call today for a free, initial consultation.