Barrie Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. However, when you are in an accident and are injured due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness, you could be entitled to compensation. Personal injuries come in many different forms, and filing a personal injury lawsuit in Ontario can not only take a long time, but can also be complex, especially when insurance companies are involved.
Therefore, if you are hurt in an accident, and you believe someone else is to blame, it is important that you hire a qualified Barrie personal injury lawyer to help you with your case. An experienced injury lawyer will be the best help moving forward in your case.
Causes of Personal Injury Claims
There are many different causes of personal injury claims in Ontario. Some of the most common result from:
- Motor vehicle accidents including car accidents, truck accidents, boating accidents, and motorcycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Trip and falls
- Product liability
- Defective Products
- Premises liability
- Pedestrian accidents
- Cyclist accidents
- Dog bites
- Medical malpractice
- Snowmobile Accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Sexual abuse
When an individual has been hurt in one of the above scenarios, and the injury was due to another party’s negligence, it is very important that they hire a personal injury lawyer in Barrie. A lawyer will assist in getting the plaintiff (the injured person) the compensation they deserve.
Sometimes victims of an accident want to file a lawsuit to collect damages, but they make the mistake of thinking they will be given millions of dollars by the courts.
While in large cases compensation like this may be available, the truth of the matter is that in Canada, the damages awarded by the courts are typically much smaller. This does not mean however, that people who are injured cannot or should not take their case to court.
Damages may still be awarded, and a qualified Barrie personal injury lawyer can help victims get the largest amount possible. The amount of compensation awarded is based on:
- Economic losses. Compensation for economic losses will cover any lost past and future income due to the victim’s inability to work as a direct result of the accident.
- Health care expenses. In Ontario, OHIP will cover a lot of medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident. If there are tests, medications, treatment, home modifications or other expenses not covered by OHIP, victims in personal injury lawsuits can sue for those damages as well;
- Pain and suffering. Compensation for pain and suffering includes damages incurred by the victim that may not have injured them physically, but caused them emotional and/or psychological trauma.
- Loss of guidance, care, and companionship. In the most tragic cases where someone has passed away due to a personal injury, family members may seek compensation for the loss of guidance, care, and companionship that person provided
Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury cases can be complicated and take years before they are taken to trial or even settled out of court. It is a process you can go through on your own, but during one of the most difficult times in your life, there is no reason you should.
Contact a qualified Barrie personal injury lawyer about your case as soon as possible. You could be entitled to compensation, and they can best help you achieve that.