Kitchener Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Our sexual abuse injury lawyers recognize and understand the emotional trauma that survivors experience. That is why we approach each sexual abuse case with both compassion for the survivor and determination to hold the perpetrator financially accountable for damages.
If you, your child, or another loved one has suffered the physical and emotional harm of sexual abuse, please call our firm for a free consultation. We can explain your rights and legal options.
Call a sexual abuse lawyer serving Kitchener from Preszler Injury Lawyers anytime: 1-800-JUSTICE.
Sexual Abuse is a Civil and Criminal Offense
Ontario has lifted the statute of limitations on seeking criminal and civil charges on sexual abuse. Preszler Injury Lawyers can help survivors pursue financial compensation.
Our legal team may be able to work on your behalf to get you the compensation you may deserve, including but not limited to:
- Lost wages: Many sexual abuse survivors find it challenging to keep steady employment, concentrate at work, or to advance in their careers because of their emotional trauma.
- Pain and suffering: While the physical injuries of sexual abuse may heal, the psychological suffering can last for years, even a lifetime.
- Loss of consortium: Sexual abuse survivors often have difficulty with intimate relationships, robbing them of the comforts of marriage or partnership with a significant other.
The burden of proof in a civil lawsuit is different than in a criminal case. Instead of proving that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, a sexual abuse lawyer should be able to prove instead that it is more likely than not that the defendant caused injury and damages.
We may be able to gather the evidence necessary to prove liability based upon certain factors:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care to take reasonable measures to avoid causing harm.
- The defendant breached this duty of care, causing the plaintiff to suffer physical and emotional harm.
- The plaintiff has damages because of these injuries.
In some sexual abuse civil lawsuits, there may be more than one liable party.
Why Sexual Abuse Survivors Are Underserved by the Legal System
According to SACHA, there are 460,000 sexual assaults in Canada each year. However, this number may be higher if you consider that out of every 1,000 attacks, only:
- 33 are reported to the police.
- 29 are recorded as criminal behavior.
- 12 perpetrators are charged
- 6 are prosecuted
- 3 prosecutions lead to convictions
All told, 997 out of every 1,000 sexual assailants walk free, with no criminal charges or jail time.
Our legal team at Preszler Injury Lawyers is determined to help change these shocking statistics.
If you were sexually abused or assaulted, we will be your legal advocate. Call 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation at our office or in your home, whichever is more convenient for you.
CONTACT PRESZLER INJURY LAWYERS
Please call a sexual abuse lawyer serving Kitchener at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation.