If you or a loved one is the victim of sexual abuse, a sexual assault lawyer serving Napanee can help explain your options for seeking justice. Call our team at Preszler Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation.
Our sexual assault lawyers can meet with you in Napanee for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Do Not Wait to Contact Counsel
Canada is one of the more sympathetic nations towards sexual assault victims. This sympathy is further illustrated by the fact that Canada places no statute of limitations on victims of sexual assault and other forms of sexual abuse.
This lenient reporting period arose from a fairly recent amendment to the Ontario Limitations Act that allows victims of sexual abuse to bring legal action against their alleged perpetrator, regardless of how much time has passed since the abuse occurred. Despite this unlimited reporting period, there is good reason to contact counsel sooner rather than later.
Waiting is Never Wise
When it comes to initiating a legal claim in pursuit of monetary damages, there is rarely a valid reason to wait. You will always have something to do, but few things are truly more important than obtaining potential monetary damages that hold your abuser financially accountable.
Reasons why acting sooner may benefit you:
- Fair or not, courts often view sexual abuse claims as more credible if they are brought forth closer to the time the abuse occurred
- Our memory is fallible, and it can be better to get your recollection of the abuse and related details on the record sooner so that there are no details lost
- The sooner you initiate legal action, the sooner you may receive the monetary damages for which you may be eligible
- Your abuser is not going to live forever
As the National Post reports, you can bring forth litigation against your abuser no matter how much time has passed since your abuse. That said, it is usually best practice to bring forth legal action as soon as possible.
Napanee Sexual Assault Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
How a Sexual Assault Lawyer Serving Napanee Can Help You
If you are the victim of sexual abuse or a family member of a victim of sexual abuse, you may be feeling:
These are common responses to those who are fully facing the reality that they have been abused. Those who are healing from such an experience may not be in a state to even think about bringing legal action themselves.
A sexual assault lawyer serving Napanee can handle your case with care while taking the legal burden of pursuing monetary damages off your plate. One of our lawyers may:
- Come to you if you cannot travel
- Listen to and document your story, including how the abuse occurred and how it has impacted your life
- Speak with your doctors and other medical professionals to document the extent of your injuries for later use at trial and in settlement negotiations
- Speak with any friends, family members, or others who may have been witness to the abuse or the impact that the abuse has had on you
- Review any police reports, investigative notes, or other forms of evidence related to the abuse
- Initiate legal action towards the pursuit of damages on your behalf
- Protect your rights throughout the entirety of the legal process
We can fight for your right to secure financial justice. Call the Preszler Injury Lawyers team today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation regarding your case.
Damages You Be Eligible to Receive in a Sexual Abuse Claim
Each instance of sexual abuse is different, and the damages you can expect to receive depend heavily on the circumstances of your case. A sexual assault lawyer serving Napanee can help you understand which damages you could be awarded in the case of a successful outcome, but damages for sexual abuse often cover:
- Any medical treatment you require stemming from the abuse, including surgeries, hospital visits, and physical and psychological rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering or mental anguish, which is often substantial in sexual abuse cases
- Any diminished ability to receive an education because of the anxiety or other conditions brought on by the abuse
- Any diminished earning capacity or lost wages that arose from the trauma created by your abuser
- Punitive damages
Depending on the specifics of your case, you may receive additional damages. There is a cap on the damages you can receive, but we recently handled a case in which we obtained a settlement that surpassed the cap. Additionally, Canadian courts have levied recent rulings that suggest there may be no rigid cap on punitive damages awarded to victims of sexual abuse.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Handle Cases for All Victims
We should all endeavor to ignore the preconceptions about the typical victim of sexual abuse. This crime impacts members of all facets of society. We want to hear your specific case of sexual abuse.
We Handle Children’s Cases
Too often, children are the victims of sexual abuse, and their parents can be at a loss as to how to proceed when they find out their child was victimized. We know that cases involving children are particularly sensitive, and we ensure that all clients—including childhood abuse survivors—are treated with proper care and empathy.
Please do not wait to contact a sexual assault lawyer serving Napanee today if you or your child was a victim of sexual abuse. Call our team at Preszler Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation regarding your case.