If you are a survivor of sexual assault, you are not alone. We understand that you are probably hurt, angry, and overwhelmed. And while no one can give you back what you have lost, a sexual assault lawyer serving North Bay can help you with obtaining every legal remedy available to you.
The compassionate team at Preszler Injury Lawyers is here to help if you or someone you love has been the victim of sexual assault. We understand that it is difficult for everyone involved, and our lawyers are here to help you every step of the way. Call now at 1-800-JUSTICE to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our team.
Our sexual assault lawyers can meet with you in North Bay for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Understanding Sexual Assault
Sexual assault refers to behavior or contact of a sexual nature that occurs without the consent of the victim. It can include:
- Attempted rape
- Sexual assault by a partner or spouse
- Unwanted sexual contact or touching
- Sexual exploitation or trafficking
- Exposing one’s naked body or genitals to another person without their consent
- Watching someone engage in private acts without their permission or knowledge
- Masturbating in public
- Nonconsensual sharing of sexual images
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a sexual assault, our team is here to help. We understand how painful this is for you and everyone involved and want to help you pursue justice in your case. Call now at 1-800-JUSTICE to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our team. If your injuries are especially severe and you are unable to travel, we can come to you.
North Bay Sexual Assault Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Injuries and Losses Caused by Sexual Assault
Sexual assault has a major effect on the health of the victims, both short-term and long-term. Victims can acquire any number of injuries from the assailant, any weapons used, or the environment where the assault took place. Rape, specifically, can result in unwanted pregnancies. Victims can also contract sexually transmitted diseases and experience pelvic pain, dysmenorrhea, and sexual dysfunctions. Most victims also experience psychological and mental health consequences, as well.
They can include:
- Generalized pain throughout the body
- Disturbances in eating and sleeping
- Emotional reactions like fear, anxiety, guilt, humiliation, self-blame, and mood swings
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
For a free initial consultation, contact a sexual assault lawyer serving North Bay the Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-800-JUSTICE today.
Warning Signs of Sexual Assault
It is not always obvious when someone close to you has been the victim of a sexual assault. However, there usually are warning signs.
Warning Signs in College-Age Adults
Some of the warning signs in adults who are of college-age include:
- Signs of depression, such as changes in sleep or appetite or withdrawing from normal activities
- Self-harming behaviors
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Failing grades
- Increase in drug or alcohol use
Warning Signs in Teens
Signs that a teen may have been sexually assaulted include:
- Signs of physical abuse
- Signs of depression
- Unhealthy eating patterns
- Unusual weight loss or gain
- Failing grades
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Drinking or drug use
Warning Signs in Young Children
Signs that a young child close to you may have been sexually abused include:
- Sexual behavior inappropriate for the age of the child
- Bedwetting or soiling the bed after having outgrown the behavior
- Avoids removing clothing to change or bathe
- Being afraid to be away from primary caregivers, particularly if this is new behavior
- Excessive fearfulness
- Excessive talk about sexual topics
- Fear of being alone
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You May Recover After a Sexual Assault Serving North Bay
While nothing can erase the trauma of a sexual assault, recovering financial compensation can help survivors achieve a sense of justice and cover medical expenses related to their injuries.
Some of the damages that victims can recover after sexual assault include but are not limited to:
- Expenses for emergency medical care, including ambulance rides, surgeries, hospitalization, medication, and any out-of-pocket expenses from premiums
- Expenses for psychological and psychiatric treatments
- Lost wages from missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If your family member loses their life as a result of severe injuries obtained in the attack, your family may be entitled to specific damages related to a wrongful death claim.
Those damages may include:
- Medical costs left to the family
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost wages and benefits provided by the victim
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
In some cases, the crimes committed by the defendant are so egregious that the court will award substantial punitive damages. These are meant to punish the defendant and discourage repeat behavior more than to award the victim with additional compensation. While punitive damages are rare in Canadian cases, it can happen.
A Sexual Assault Lawyer Serving North Bay Can Help
If you or a loved one is the victim of sexual violence, you have the right to pursue justice for your injuries. Our team understands how painful this is for you and your family and is here to help you recoup your losses if you qualify.
Some specific ways we can help include:
- Gathering evidence related to your case, including eyewitness statements, police reports, and medical records
- Calculating the total value of your losses, including economic and non-economic damages you have suffered
- Working with experts who can provide testimony about your medical condition
- Fighting for your rights at trial to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries
- And more
To have us get to work on building your case right away or to take advantage of our free initial consultation, contact the Preszler Injury Lawyers now at 1-800-JUSTICE. The National Post reports that there is no longer a statute of limitations imposed on sexual abuse lawsuits, but you still should not wait to take action.