Ottawa is a beautiful place to bike around anytime of the year, and there are a number of bikes paths and bike lanes available to help cyclists enjoy their ride safely. However, the city still sees a number of bike accidents every year, and the majority of them are caused by collisions with motor vehicles.
In nearly all bike accidents involving a vehicle, the cyclist sustains the most injuries due to the vast size and weight differences between a car and a bike. When individuals are injured in a bike accident, they should speak to an Ottawa bike accident lawyer immediately. An experienced lawyer can help fight for their client’s right to compensation.
Our bicycle accident lawyers can meet with you in Ottawa for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
Causes of Bike Accidents
While it is true that most bike accidents are caused by a collision with a car or other vehicle, there are a number of causes for those collisions; and the driver of the car is not always to blame. Here are some of the most common causes of accidents that occur when a bicycle collides with a car on the road.
- Driver turns into the path of the cyclist. This occurs more often than people think. It is most likely to happen when a cyclist is traveling along the right-hand side of the road beside or slightly behind a car. While the cyclist intends to continue straight ahead, the driver turns right and, not seeing the cyclist, collides with them. Just as the driver would need to yield to another driver beside them, they also need to yield and wait for a cyclist to pass before trying to turn right, or move into the cyclists’ lane
- Driver turns left at an intersection while an oncoming cyclist is traveling straight through. This usually happens when a driver has looked for other cars to ensure it was safe to turn, but they did not see the cyclist. In most cases, the driver has to yield to the cyclist and allow them through the intersection before turning
- This is when a parked car opens their door into the pathway of a bike, causing the cyclist to crash into it. Drivers must look and be aware of their surroundings before opening their door
There are instances in which the driver of another car is not responsible for the collision. The most common of these are:
- Cyclist does not obey traffic signals
- Cyclist does not use proper hand signals for turning and stopping
- A defect in the bike
It can sometimes be unclear what caused the crash, and who was at fault for it. And sometimes, the stories of the two sides are not the same. It is important that cyclists involved in an accident contact a bike accident lawyer in Ottawa to discuss their case.
Ottawa Bicycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Common Injuries of Bike Accidents
Because cars are so much bigger than bicycles, and because they travel at greater speeds, cyclists can be seriously injured when in an accident with a car. The most common injuries seen in bike accidents are:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Hip injuries
- Knee injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cuts and bruises, namely to the head and face
- Sprains, strains, and dislocations
- Nerve damage
Working with an Ottawa Lawyer
Due to the severe nature of injuries resulting from bike accidents, victims could be left unable to work, resulting in lost income.
Even with the coverage OHIP provides, there may still be additional medical costs for things like prescriptions and certain services, such as physiotherapy. Victims may be able to file a lawsuit against the driver to get compensation that will help cover these costs not to mention to compensate for their pain and suffering.
In order to get the full compensation that you may be entitled to, you should contact a qualified Ottawa bike accident lawyer as soon as possible. This is a time for you to focus on your recovery and the lawyer to worry about the rest.