It only takes seconds for a car accident to occur, but the consequences and injuries suffered by the victims can last years, sometimes even a lifetime.
Car accidents are the most common personal injury lawsuits in Ontario every year, but they can be lengthy and complicated. Time is of the essence, which is why it is so imperative that injured parties contact an Ottawa car accident lawyer right away. In order to get the full compensation that you may be entitled to, you should contact a qualified lawyer as soon as possible.
Our car accident lawyers can meet with you in Ottawa for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Types of Car Accidents
There are many different scenarios in which car accidents can occur. Most often they involve another vehicle, but they can also include pedestrians, or they can be single-car accidents in which a car has hit an immovable object. The most common types of car accidents are:
- Rear-end collisions. In most cases, the vehicle that hit another vehicle from behind is automatically at fault
- T-bone accidents. These are accidents in which one car is hit directly in the side by another vehicle. These accidents can cause some of the worst kinds of injuries
- Side-swipe accidents. This is when one vehicle “swipes” the side of another car. These can be much less dangerous to the passengers than a T-bone accident
- When a vehicle is tipped and flips over onto its side or roof, this is a rollover. These accidents are most often caused by excessive speed and can cause other accidents, such as when they are struck by oncoming traffic or cars behind them
- Head-on collisions. These are some of the most fatal types of car accidents. They occur when the front of one car hits the front of another car
- Multi-vehicle crashes. Also known as “pileups”, these are also very deadly car accidents. When more than two vehicles are involved in a crash, vehicles crash into each other and begin to “pile up” or become compacted together. This can make it difficult to get injured people out, and is a larger hazard to other drivers on the road more so than other types of accidents
Any time a car accident occurs, it is important to seek a car accident lawyer in Ottawa that can help.
Ottawa Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Common Injuries of Car Accidents
Injuries resulting from car accidents can be minor to severe. The most common injuries sustained are:
- Brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Burn injuries
- Muscle weakness
- Scrapes, cuts and bruises
- Internal bleeding
- Psychological injuries
- Wrongful death
These injuries can require expensive medical treatment and victims may be unable to work for a long period. Injured parties may be able to file a lawsuit to receive compensation for the costs.
Following an Accident
The moments after a car accident are the most important and what happens during that time can greatly impact the case further down the road. However, during this stressful time, it can also be difficult for accident victims to know exactly what to do, and what not to do.
- Exchange information with all parties involved
- Seek medical treatment, even when there are no apparent injuries
- Seek the help of a qualified car accident lawyer in Ottawa
- Apologize or admit fault
- Speak to an insurance company before contacting a lawyer
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
In addition to getting compensation from the at-fault party, accident victims may also be able to seek other benefits and compensation, but there are time limits placed on these. They are as follows:
- Accident benefits, as provided by the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS). In order to be eligible, injured parties must contact the insurance company within 7 days, and the insurance company must receive the application within 30 days following receipt by the applicant
- Disability insurance, either through the employer of the victim or a private policy. This needs to be applied for right away
- Compensation from at-fault parties. This can include compensation for pain and suffering, financial losses, medical costs, other costs such as caregiving needs that are a direct result of the accident. Victims have 120 days to give notice that they are going to sue, and two years to file the lawsuit
Contacting an Accident Lawyer
Car accidents can be deadly. They can also be complex and frustrating. It is important that if you are involved in a car accident, you speak to an experienced Ottawa car accident lawyer before you speak to anyone else. A skilled lawyer will be on your side, even when it seems no one else is.