Brockville Sexual Assault Lawyer
Victims of sexual abuse may assume that their only recourse for justice is through a criminal complaint, but this is often not the case. Our sexual assault lawyers serving Brockville will help you pursue financial damages in the wake of this traumatic event.
Call our team at the Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation with a member of our team.
Understand the Nature of Your Abuse
Sexual abuse is traumatic, but its victims and legal definitions vary. These varying definitions could impact your ability to hold the perpetrator financially accountable, so we want to ensure that each of our clients understands what has happened to them, legally-speaking, in an empathetic, measured way.
First, know that you are not alone. The Sexual Assault Centre of Ontario (SACHA) reports that one in three women and one in six men will experience some sort of sexual violence in their lifetime, yet only one in three Canadians understand what sexual consent means. A sexual assault lawyer serving Brockville can help you make sense of your circumstances and assist you if you choose to pursue damages.
Abuse Takes Many Forms
Though the average person may assume forcible rape has occurred when they hear of sexual abuse, the fact is that most perpetrators are more insidious. Sexual abuse takes many forms. The Canadian Red Cross lists some common forms of sexual abuse, including:
- Subjection to sexual videos or photographs
- Being spoken to in an overtly sexual manner
- Being coerced or forced to pose for seductive or sexual photographs
- Unwanted exposure to another’s genitalia
- Being forced to observe sexual acts
- Being surreptitiously recorded or watched, whether you are clothed or not
You may not have considered that these crimes cross the line of sexual abuse, but they do. Additional sexual abuse is broken down into two categories:
- Sexual battery is any action, whether it is intentionally or not, that is an offensive and unwanted sexual physical contact with another person’s body.
- Sexual assault is the threat of violence or use of intimidation of a sexual nature to another person.
If you were the victim of any of these behaviors, or any unlisted behaviors that you think may qualify as sexual abuse, contact Preszler Injury Lawyers today.
There Is No Statute of Limitations for Sexual Assault
Victims of many crimes are subject to a statute of limitations. That is, they must initiate legal action before a certain amount of time has passed or may not be able to collect financial damages. This is not the case for victims of sexual abuse.
The National Post reports that Canadian law was amended to eliminate the statute of limitations for sexual assault.
We cannot stress this enough; it does not matter when your sexual abuse occurred. You are legally eligible to pursue a criminal complaint against your abuser, and in doing so, may file a civil case in pursuit of financial damages. We can educate you on what this requires and handle much of the little things that need attending over the course of your case.
Get Help From a Sexual Assault Lawyer Serving Brockville
Victims of sexual abuse often struggle to come to terms with what has occurred, and their families may be blindsided by the realization. Thinking about the legal process may be the furthest thing from your mind. We want to help you obtain the justice you deserve with respect to the trauma you have endured.
One of our lawyers will:
- Speak with you about the circumstances of your abuse, addressing your concerns and answering your questions
- Collect and analyze any medical records that serve as evidence of your abuse and resulting injuries
- Review any police reports pertaining to your case
- Collaborate with your criminal lawyer to strengthen your civil defense
- Serve as an empathetic counselor while handling all legal aspects of your claim
We have represented many victims of sexual abuse and know what it takes to win. Call our team at the Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation with a member of our team.
We Will Help You Prove Liability and Recover Damages
Obtaining financial compensation for your injuries, pain, and suffering could be fairly straightforward, especially if your perpetrator has been found guilty of the crime. Even if your criminal case is pending, you may be entitled to financial damages covering:
- Injuries resulting from the abuse
- Long-term psychological treatment necessitated by abuse-induced trauma
- Any lost ability to earn an education
- Any diminished earning capacity resulting from psychological trauma due to sexual abuse
- Mental distress and anguish
- Punitive damages
We Handle Child Sexual Abuse Claims
Children are often the most vulnerable victims of sexual abuse, and it is critical that their abusers be held liable through all available avenues. If you believe your child or a child you know has been or is being abused, contact law enforcement.
In the case of Yeo v. Carver, a jury awarded a victim of childhood sexual abuse $200,000 after it was determined that the perpetrator had violated their sense of trust, perhaps for life. Historically, we have seen that damages may rise as high as $650,000.
This case also established that the benchmark method for awarding damages does not apply in childhood abuse cases. In other words, each case of childhood sexual abuse is unique, and damages will be awarded on a case-by-case basis. This includes any aggravating circumstances based on the victim’s ‘race, culture, ability, class, sexual identity, or other personal characteristics.
A sexual assault lawyer serving Brockville can counsel you and your child throughout the legal course of obtaining damages for your injuries, pain, and suffering.
You Only Pay When We Win
Call our team at the Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation. Our sexual assault lawyers serving Brockville are here to help.