Ontario Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 1-888-404-5167
Preszler Injury Lawyers

Injury Claims without Insurance in Ontario: Can it be Done?

Despite the fact that Ontario law requires all drivers to carry automobile insurance, approximately 2,100 motor vehicles involved in Ontario collisions each year are uninsured. Usually, when a person is injured in an accident with an uninsured vehicle, he or she can still access the statutory accident benefits (SABs) provided by his or her own auto insurance.

But what if nobody involved in an accident carries auto insurance? Although this is thankfully relatively rare in Ontario, it does happen — particularly in hit-and-run accidents involving pedestrians. In such circumstances, Ontario law provides a safety net for injured individuals: the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (MVACF).

The MVACF was established in the 1960s to serve as the payer of last resort for Ontarians injured in automobile accidents. When no other insurance coverage is available, the MVACF can step in to provide both SABs and compensation for property damage and personal injury.

Talk With Our Legal Team

If you have any questions and would like to schedule a call with our legal team for a FREE no-obligation consultation, contact us now. During this call you can ask any questions as it relates to your accident and/or claim and we'll discuss your options and possible outcomes.

Regardless of where you're located in Ontario – we may be able to help you. Don't delay - call us. Our lines are open 24/7.

The MVACF and SABs

Statutory accident benefits

are one of the two main components of auto insurance in Ontario. These benefits include:

  • Income replacement up to $400 per week while a claimant is unable to work following an accident.
  • Medical rehabilitations, such as physical therapy, chiropractic care, and medical devices.
  • Attendant care, including payment for an aide at home while the claimant recovers.

SABs are available regardless of fault in an accident. When both drivers involved in an accident are insured, each will look to his or her own insurer for SABs. However, in the rare case in which no insurer is responsible for a claimant’s SABs, the MVACF will step in as the payer of last resort, as explained below.

When MVACF Will Pay

The MVACF only pays SABs when no other insurer is required to. The Insurance Act establishes the priority of payers for SABs claims. Under section 268(2) of the Act, the entity liable for a claimant’s accident benefits following an accident is:

  1. The insurer of any automobile as to which the individual is an insured.
  2. If recovery is unavailable under (1), then the insurer of the automobile (a) in which the individual was an occupant at the time of the accident; or (b) if the individual was not in a car at that time, then the insurer of the automobile that struck him or her.
  3. If recovery is not available under (1) or (2), then the insurer of any automobile involved in the accident.
  4. If recovery is unavailable under (1), (2), or (3), then the MVACF.

However, the MVACF can only be liable if both of the following conditions are met:

  • The claimant is a resident of Ontario; and
  • The accident occurred in Ontario.

Submitting a SABs Claim to MVACF

To apply for SABs with the MVACF, a claimant must provide all the following:

  • A completed form OCF-1, the Application for Accident Benefits;
  • A signed consent for collection, use, and disclosure of personal information;
  • A completed Form 3, the Application for Statutory Accident Benefits;
  • The police report concerning the accident; and
  • A letter that confirms the claimant is not a named insured as a spouse or dependent.

See also: 5 Tips for Completing an OCF-1 Form: Application for Accident Benefits

Call 1-888-608-2111 for available options or Book a Consultation

The MVACF and Tort Claims

The other major component of Ontario auto insurance is fault-based third-party liability coverage. When a person is injured by the fault of another driver, he or she can sue the other driver and seek compensation through that driver’s third-party liability coverage.

If the other driver was uninsured, and no insurance coverage is otherwise available for the injured individual, then he or she can seek compensation for his or her damages from the MVACF in addition to applying for SABs.

What MVACF Will Pay

The MVACF will pay for property damage or personal injury caused by an uninsured driver. Compensation for property damage is limited to $10,000 per uninsured vehicle and per accident. For personal injuries, the MVACF will cover both general (non-pecuniary) and special (pecuniary) damages up to $200,000 per uninsured vehicle and per accident.

Submitting a Claim to MVACF

Property damage claims of $3,000 or less do not require filing a lawsuit. Instead, the claimant can simply apply for compensation by providing the following to the MVACF:

Other claims, including for property damage in excess of $3,000 and personal-injury claims, require filing a lawsuit. The lawsuit will be against the other driver, if his or her identity is known, or, if not, then against the Ontario Superintendent of Financial Services. In either case, the claimant must follow strict requirements to be able to recover from the MVACF.

Have you been injured in Ontario without insurance?

Although the MVACF is an important part of Ontario’s automobile insurance system, applying for payments from it is not as straightforward a process as one might hope. Incomplete or missing paperwork, or a failure to follow the MVACF’s strict procedures for applying for benefits, can result in delay or rejection of an injured driver’s application.

If you’ve been injured by an uninsured driver, or if you’ve been injured in a car accident and you do not have your own policy to rely on, you should contact the lawyers of Preszler Injury Lawyers in Ontario to see how we might be to help you obtain the benefits and compensation you deserve.

related videos


Car Accident Lawyers

Hit and Run Injury Claims

Statutory Accident Benefits & Car Accident Claims

Types of Damages in Car Accident Cases

What Are Statutory Accident Benefits?

What Insurance Cuts Mean For Drivers in Ontario

Who to Contact Following a Car Accident
Call us now at

151 Eglinton Ave W,
Toronto, ON
M4R 1A6
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
4145 N Service Rd
Burlington, ON
L7L 4X6
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
2 County Ct Blvd #400,
Brampton, ON
L6W 3W8
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
105 Consumers Drive
Whitby, ON
L1N 1C4
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
92 Caplan Ave #121,
Barrie, ON
L4N 0Z7
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
380 Wellington St Tower B, 6th Floor,
London, ON
N6A 5B5
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
2233 Argentia Rd Suite 302,
East Tower Mississauga, ON
L5N 6A6
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
1 Hunter St E,
Hamilton, ON
L8N 3W1
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
459 George St N,
Peterborough, ON
K9H 3R9
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
22 Frederick Street,
Suite 700
Kitchener, ON N2H 6M6
Fax: 1-855-364-7027
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
116 Lisgar Street, Suite 300
Ottawa ON
K2P 0C2
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
10 Milner Business Ct #300,
Scarborough, ON
M1B 3C6
Toll Free: 1-888-608-2111
*consultation offices

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that the header image and other images throughout this website may include both lawyer and non-lawyer/paralegal employees of Preszler Injury Lawyers and DPJP Professional Corporation and unrelated third parties. Our spokesperson John Fraser, or any other non-lawyer/paralegals in our marketing is not to be construed in any way as misleading to the public. Our marketing efforts are not intended to suggest qualitative superiority to other lawyers, paralegals or law firms in any way. Any questions regarding the usage of non-lawyers in our legal marketing or otherwise can be directed to our management team. Please also note that past results are not indicative of future results and that each case is unique and that case results listed on site are from experiences across Canada and are not specific to any province. Please be advised that some of the content on this website may be out of date. None of the content is intended to act as legal advice as each situation is independent and unique and requires individual legal advice from a licensed lawyer or paralegal. For legal advice on your individual situation – we can provide legal guidance after you have contacted our firm and we have established a lawyer-client relationship contractually. Maximum contingency fee charged is 33%. Finally, our usage of awards and logos for awards does not suggest qualitative superiority to other lawyers, paralegals or law firms. All awards received from third party organizations have been done so through their own reasonable evaluative process and do not include any payment for these awards except for the use of the award logos for our marketing assets. We are also proud to service additional provinces like Alberta, British Columbia and Nova Scotia.