You have paid your long-term disability premiums faithfully, expecting that the benefits will be there when you need them. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not quick to approve and pay long-term disability (LTD) claims. Insurers are often looking for one mistake or omission to deny your claim.
London, Ontario long-term disability lawyers make sure you do not make that mistake, and help you move your claim forward if the insurer is already denying or delaying it. You do not need to know anything about long-term disability benefits policies or appeals if you work with a an injury lawyer in London, Ontario.
Our long-term disability lawyers can meet with you in London for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
There are four main criteria someone needs to meet to qualify for long-term disability benefits.
- They have a long-term disability insurance policy that is in good standing. London, Ontario long term disability attorneys review their client’s insurance policy to identify the terms of their coverage. This helps them avoid mistakes in their application and understand the insurance company’s policies and appeals process.
- They have a serious physical or mental health condition. Lawyers use extensive medical evidence (diagnostic records, expert testimony, and more) to prove the extent of their client’s disability. They also encourage them to continue seeking treatment. Staying current with treatment can establish that their condition is limiting or preventing them from working despite seeking regular care.
- The condition is expected to last for at least 12 months. Most long-term disability policies require someone’s condition to be expected to last at least 12 months or more. London, Ontario lawyers work with their client’s doctor and other medical experts and compile all the applicable medical records to prove their condition meets the long-term requirements.
- The condition prevents them from working at their current job. Their condition also must prevent them from working. They work with vocational and medical experts to present evidence regarding their limitations and inability to perform work duties.
London Long-Term Disability Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
How long a case may take will depend on a lot of factors, including:
- Completeness of the application
- Clarity of the medical evidence
- Promptness in submitting documents
- Willingness of insurance company to process the claim
London, Ontario long-term disability lawyers review their client’s application to identify any mistakes or omissions that could delay the process or lead the insurance company to deny their claim.
They also work diligently to compile all their client’s medical records, reviewing all available documents to build a case that establishes the severity of their disability and its limitations. When the insurance company acts unfairly or uses delay tactics, they fight back by holding them to their responsibilities to move the process along.
Value of Claim
The value of someone’s claim largely depends on their earnings before they became disabled. If someone receives a fixed amount every paycheck, it should be fairly straightforward to determine how much they will receive with each LTD benefit payment. But if their pay is different each paycheck because they work different hours or work on commission, this gets more difficult.
As insurance companies may try to take advantage of this by arguing someone deserves their lowest rate of pay, experienced lawyers compile, review, and present all of their payment information to establish a fair benefit amount.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Benefits and Employment
If someone cannot work at their current job but are suited to work at other jobs, their disability payments will be shorter than if they are completely disabled and unable to work at any jobs.
The insurance company might challenge someone’s ability to work and claim there are jobs that they can do, even when they clearly cannot. They may bring in vocational experts and other evidence to explain that they are unable to find a suitable job with their qualifications and health limitations.
The insurance company denies a lot of initial applications. If the insurer denies someone’s claim, their lawyer will review its reasons and address any unfair excuses. Sometimes this means compiling additional evidence to overcome their objections. They will take them through the appeals process so they get the benefits they deserve.
Working with a Lawyer
Most insurance companies will not approve your LTD claim without some pushback. It helps to have a lawyer managing your case and communicating with the insurance company, especially if it already denied your claim or made an unfair offer. Here are just some of the things London, Ontario long term disability attorneys do:
- Make sure you fill out paperwork correctly
- Communicate with the insurance company
- Get the medical and vocational evidence you need
- Keep your claim on track if the insurer delays it
- Handle the appeals process
Long term disability lawyers in London, Ontario can handle your claim from start to finish.