Suffering a sexual assault can cause a whirlwind of emotions, from confusion to outrage and helplessness. You deserve the opportunity to hold your abuser liable. A sexual assault lawyer serving Bowmanville can provide you guidance in this traumatic time with respect to navigating the legal landscape.
Our team of lawyers employs an empathetic approach to recovering financial damages and seeking justice in the wake of a sexual assault. If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual abuse, call our team at Preszler Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation.
Our sexual assault lawyers can meet with you in Bowmanville for a free initial consultation. Call (416) 364-2000
We Want to Help You
We work with victims of sexual abuse regularly, and you should know that we are here to help you make sense of this traumatic experience. We understand the sensitivity and discretion that all sexual assault victims deserve, and we also understand how important it is that you receive justice.
The National Post reports that as of March 2016, there is no statute of limitations on bringing a sexual assault case in Canada. If you have been the victim of sexual violence at any time, we want to hear your case.
It takes bravery to hold the perpetrator of your sexual abuse accountable, and a sexual assault lawyer serving Bowmanville can help ensure that your courage is coupled with an effective case against the accused.
How We Will Counsel You
Once you are a client, we will have an in-depth discussion of your case and explain to you the best plan of action. From there, we can:
- Examine any available evidence, including but not limited to medical reports, sexual assault examination results, police reports, and witness accounts
- Remain in contact with law enforcement officials to monitor the progress of criminal charges
- File any legal motions required to bring a criminal and/or civil case against the accused
Sexual assault cases require unique legal considerations, and it is advisable that you employ the services of a sexual assault lawyer serving Bowmanville to see you through the process.
Bowmanville Sexual Assault Lawyer Near Me (416) 364-2000
Proving Liability and Securing Damages in Sexual Abuse Cases
There is something of a legal roadmap for proving civil liability in sexual abuse cases. Sexual abuse typically falls under the category of an intentional tort, where the offending party “intended the consequences of the act and/or they knew with certainty what would result from their actions.”
Potential Civil Damages in Sexual Assault Cases
In civil cases where we prove the offending party’s liability for an intentional tort, victims may be awarded compensation for:
- Mental distress, which is typically significant in sexual abuse cases
- Medical bills resulting from the accident
- The cost of ongoing therapy
- Income loss
- Diminished earning capacity
- Loss of educational opportunity, which can contribute to diminished earning capacity
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
Many civil sexual assault cases are settled out of court, especially once the offender’s guilt is established through the criminal justice process. Regardless of the path to obtaining justice, we will do what we can to ensure that you receive the damages you deserve.
We Are in Tune with the Changing Legal Landscape Pertaining to Sexual Abuse
We will speak to you about considerations that could impact the outcome of your case—including but not limited to:
- Whether a weapon was involved, and how that could impact criminal and civil justice outcomes
- What the utterance of threats means
- Whether you were a victim of aggravating circumstances
- Cases involving minors
The circumstances of sexual assault cases vary greatly, and those circumstances could result in greater punishment for the perpetrator and/or financial compensation for the victim. A sexual assault lawyer serving Bowmanville will help you understand these legal considerations and how they do or do not pertain to your case. Call our team at Preszler Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Discretely Counsel Victims of Child Sexual Abuse and Their Families
It is a sad fact that children are often victims of sexual abusers. It is especially critical that we hold perpetrators of child sexual abuse responsible for their crimes. In instances where abuse in Bowmanville involves children, we can:
- Advise you, the parent(s), about your legal options in civil court
- Advise you about best practices to help your child cope with the trauma of sexual abuse
- Collect witness accounts from those with knowledge of the perpetrator’s relationship with the victim, including incriminating accounts
- Collaborate with any other lawyer(s) you have employed to handle the criminal case to strengthen your civil suit
If you, your child, or a family member have been a victim of sexual abuse, call our team at Preszler Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation. You only pay if you recover compensation.