Bowmanville Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you have lost a loved one recently, you are probably feeling devastated by the loss and ready to hold the at-fault party responsible. Ontario law allows family members to pursue compensation in cases where they lost a loved one as a result of someone else’s negligence if they are found eligible.
To find out what options you have for recovering damages through a wrongful death claim, contact a wrongful death lawyer serving Bowmanville with Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-800-JUSTICE for a free initial consultation.
Types of Accidents That Can Cause Life-Ending Injuries
There are numerous accidents that can lead to the loss of someone you love. There are a few types, though, that can be particularly catastrophic for the victim. They include:
The Preliminary Road Safety Report shows that 578 people were killed on Ontario roadways in 2018. That includes drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and other road users. The report also shows that many of those fatalities resulted from drinking and driving, inattentive driving, and speed-related collisions.
Large truck collisions can be catastrophic because of the sheer size of the motor vehicles involved. The Road Safety report shows that 93 fatalities occurred as a result of large truck collisions.
Cyclists can also be at risk, particularly without the presence of dedicated bike paths and bike lanes or without side guides to protect them when they are sharing the road with heavy trucks and other cars. According to a Statistics Canada report that looked at deaths related to cycling between 2006 and 2017, nearly 900 cyclists died in Canada during that time, with an average of 74 fatalities per year.
Fifty-seven motorcyclists were killed on roadways in 2018, according to the Road Safety Report. Motorcyclists are more vulnerable than other motorists because of the lack of protection they have while biking. They do not have the frame of the car, airbag, or seat belt to minimize their injuries during a collision.
There were 117 pedestrian fatalities on Ontario roadways in 2018. These injuries are often the result of distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, or other negligent behaviors.
Generally, it is safe to trust your healthcare practitioner to provide quality care. However, they are humans and can make mistakes like everyone else. Some types of medical errors include misdiagnoses, delayed diagnoses, medication errors, surgical errors, or anesthesia errors.
Recoverable Damages After a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
There are a number of different types of damages that a family may recover after a wrongful death claim. While a wrongful death lawyer serving Bowmanville cannot estimate the types of damages you may recover without first examining the details of your case, some recoverable damages that families are sometimes awarded in cases like yours include:
- Medical expenses left to the family to pay after the victim’s death
- Lost wages from time off work related to the victim’s accident
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Loss of companionship
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of benefits and wages previously provided by the victim
These are just a few possible recoverable damages. You may be able to receive these and more if you are found eligible.
How the Statute of Limitations May Impact Your Claim
Ontario’s Limitations Act places limits on the amount of time that families have to file a claim to pursue compensation in a wrongful death case. The two-year deadline is generally two years and runs for 24 consecutive months from the date of the victim’s death.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Serving Bowmanville May Be Able to Help Your Case
Our wrongful death lawyers serving Bowmanville understand how devastating the loss of a loved one can be for a family. We may be able to take the burden off your shoulders, and, if you are found eligible, pursue compensation for your family’s injuries.
Some specific ways we may be able to help are:
- Providing legal support from beginning to end and, if you are eligible, helping you navigate the complex process of filing a wrongful death claim
- Gathering evidence related to your case, including police reports, surveillance footage, witness statements, medical records, and other forms of evidence that are required to build your case
- Consulting with physicians and other experts who can provide testimony regarding the duty of care, if your loved one’s death was the result of medical error
- Work with accident scene reconstruction experts who can help us determine what happened in the accident, if applicable
- Gather evidence like medical records, out-of-pocket expenses, employment records, and other documents that show the extent of your financial losses and pain and suffering in order to determine the full value of your case, if you are eligible
- If you are found eligible, negotiate with the insurance companies or at-fault party’s lawyer to pursue compensation for your losses
- Fight for your rights at trial if we cannot reach an agreeable settlement
You are not alone in this. If you are eligible, we may be able to help you build a strong case to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your losses. To find out what your options are for recovering damages, contact Preszler Injury Lawyers now at 1-800-JUSTICE. If injuries prevent you from traveling, we may be able to come to you.