There are many important decisions to make after a serious car accident. You may consider hiring an injury lawyer in Toronto if you have been offered insufficient compensation, your application for Accident Benefits has been denied or you wish to explore other legal options. Choosing the right lawyer may have a significant impact on the amount of compensation you are able to recover.
One strategy for choosing the right injury lawyer in Toronto is asking lots of questions during the free initial consultation. Below are 10 questions to ask as you decide who will handle your claim or lawsuit.
1. What is your area of focus? Opt for a lawyer whose practice areas include cases like yours. If you suffered an injury in a motor vehicle accident, make sure your lawyer is familiar with such cases.
2. How many cases have you handled that are similar to my own? Look for a lawyer who has investigated and successfully resolved cases similar to your own. This is especially true if your case is complex (it involves catastrophic injuries or multiple liable parties).
3. Who will handle my case? It’s vital to know who actually will research, file, negotiate and try your case. Ensure your case will not be “farmed out” to the highest-bidding law firm in the area.
4. What are the strengths of my case? A lawyer should be able to identify which aspects of your case will have a positive impact on the potential value of your case.
5. What are the potential weaknesses of my case? Do not hire a lawyer who is not willing to discuss any shortcomings or potential roadblocks to your settlement. A lawyer should be able to identify potential problems clearly and offer solutions.
6. Do you have any special training or professional affiliations that are relevant to my case? A lawyer’s credentials may indicate areas of special interest and skill. Look for things like membership in a professional organization.
7. How do you communicate with clients throughout their cases? Seek a lawyer who provides a variety of ways in which to communicate about the progress of your case. Ask specific questions about the law firm’s communication style and the typical turnaround time for client inquires. A law firm should be willing and able to get back to you with answers to your questions within a 24-hour timeframe.
8. Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary action? It may be uncomfortable to ask, but it is important to know whether or not a lawyer has faced civil or criminal punishment for his or her professional behavior.
9. What are your fees, and what is your pay structure? Does the lawyer offer services based on a contingency basis? If so, what percentage will he or she take of your settlement or award? When is payment expected? Will you be charged any upfront fees? A lawyer should be forthcoming about all legal and lawyer fees – be sure to get the answers in writing.
10. Are you willing to take my case to trial? Some lawyers are skilled negotiators but do not have experience in the courtroom. Ensure your lawyer is prepared to take your case to court if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
Call the Preszler Law Firm to schedule your free case evaluation with a personal injury lawyer in Toronto – 1-800-JUSTICE®. Or simply complete our confidential online case evaluation form.