7 Ways a Lawyer May Be Able To Assist You in a Slip and Fall Claim
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common examples of Occupiers’ Liability claims in Ontario. These accidents can occur when a building or property owner fails to remedy dangerous conditions on his or her property (such as ice on steps, a puddle in a supermarket aisle and so on).
A slip and fall claim may entitle you to compensation for your injuries, such as broken bones, torn ligaments, a concussion or spinal fracture. Some slip and fall injury victims choose to hire an injury lawyer to help facilitate a claim or lawsuit.
Below are seven ways in which a lawyer can assist with a claim or lawsuit:
1. A lawyer can handle all investigations. An Occupiers’ Liability claim requires substantial proof of negligence and injury. A lawyer can investigate the circumstances of your accident to determine all liable parties and the events that led to the injury. For example, a lawyer may conduct research to determine whether an apartment building owner had a history of cutting corners when it came to snow and ice removal or if a grocery store manager failed to train employees how to inspect and clean up spills properly.
2. A lawyer can locate and interview witnesses. Witness testimony may be critical in supporting your version of events. A lawyer can help you locate witnesses who are necessary to verify the events before, during and after your accident. A lawyer will know which questions to ask and how to present the answers in a compelling way.
3. A lawyer can collect and preserve all evidence. Evidence is the key to a successful Occupiers’ Liability claim. An injury lawyer has the resources necessary to secure evidence when building a claim. This may include store surveillance footage, maintenance records and photos of the accident scene.
4. A lawyer can facilitate all necessary paperwork.. A lawyer can help you hit all deadlines and file the necessary paperwork according to legal and insurance industry standards. Filing a claim on time is crucial.
5. A lawyer can handle all interactions with the insurance company – You likely are in need of time to focus on healing from your injuries. A lawyer can handle all discussions and negotiations with the insurance company and defendant so you can spare yourself the time and stress of such interactions.
6. A lawyer can calculate the fair value of your slip and fall claim – An initial settlement offer may fail to address your long-term financial needs adequately. A lawyer can consult a variety of experts to determine a comprehensive settlement figure that accounts for your medical bills, lost wages and other out-of-pocket expenses.
7. A lawyer can help you protect your right to financial recovery – It’s surprisingly easy to damage an accident claim. A lawyer can offer personalized instruction on how best to protect your rights.
Were you recently injured in a slip and fall in Ontario? Contact the Preszler Injury Lawyers to schedule a free case evaluation. Call 1-800-JUSTICE® or complete this confidential online form.