You may consider hiring a lawyer if you suffered serious injuries in an accident in Ontario. It is typically in your best interest to secure a lawyer’s services as quickly as possible, particularly given the short time frame in which you can file for Accident Benefits.
It may be best to limit the amount of personal information you disclose when you are in the process of choosing a lawyer. Instead, ask the lawyer questions about the law firm and why he or she is qualified to handle your case. Ask questions about education, experience and legal fees.
Once you’ve made your decision and hired a personal injury lawyer, you can go into detail about your case.
Below are nine questions to ask your lawyer at the outset of your claim:
1. What challenges do you foresee with my case? Your lawyer should be honest and upfront about any potential roadblocks to your financial recovery. This allows you to discuss options for dealing with settlement denials, common defense tactics and other obstacles.
2. What can I do right now to help my claim? Your lawyer can provide you with personalized guidance on how to protect your claim and potential compensation.
3. What evidence will you need from me? Learn what evidence to keep and what to submit to your lawyer before any valuable evidence is permanently lost, destroyed or otherwise compromised.
4. How should I handle my medical bills? Your lawyer may offer guidance on how best to handle your accident-related hospital and medical bills that you accrue prior to settling your claim.
5. Who should I talk to about my accident? Your lawyer can provide you with guidance on who should and should not receive any details about your case. This includes instructions on how to talk to your friends, colleagues and even family members about the case.
6. Will you talk to the insurance companies on my behalf? Talking to insurance adjusters can be an intimidating and time-consuming experience. It is very easy to say something inadvertently to jeopardize the value of your claim. Your lawyer may be able to communicate with the insurers on your behalf.
7. Will I have to go to court? Your lawyer will have a better understanding of the potential course of your case after conducting a thorough investigation of the facts.
8. What is the value of my claim? Your lawyer may provide an estimation of the value of your claim once he or she has consulted the experts necessary to answer such a question. This may include your doctors and other healthcare providers, as well as economists who can speak to the long-term impact of your injuries on your future income.
9. What’s the best way to get answers to my questions about my case? Talk to your lawyer about establishing an effective line of communication. This may mean phone calls, emails or even in-person visits.
Are you in search of a personal injury lawyer to handle your serious accident claim? Schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with Preszler Law – call 1-800-JUSTICE® or complete this confidential online form.