There are four compulsory types of auto accident coverage Toronto drivers must purchase, one of which is accident benefits. This coverage provides certain benefits to people in Toronto who are injured in a car accident, irrespective of fault. Whenever a driver buys a standard auto insurance policy in Toronto, it will include statutory no-fault accident benefits.
Our car accident lawyers can meet with you in Toronto for a free initial consultation. Call 1-877-573-3563
Statutory Accident Benefits
Accident benefits are set by the provincial government under the Insurance Act of Ontario. Basic accident benefits are compulsory and meant to cover certain damages drivers sustain whenever they are involved in an automobile collision.
However, benefits are not just for the driver. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) explains:
“Any person who is injured in a motor vehicle collision or certain relatives or dependants of any person who is injured in a motor vehicle collision may be eligible for benefits.”
The coverage applies in any car accident anywhere in Canada or the United States, regardless of the cause of the accident. The details about accident benefits coverage are laid out in the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS).
Toronto Car Accident Insurance Coverage Lawyer Near Me 1-877-573-3563
Types of Toronto Accident Benefits
Statutory accident benefits cover a wide range of damages, regardless of who caused the accident. SABS lists some of the available benefits:
- Income replacement benefit. If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you can receive up to 70% of your gross weekly income (with a max figure of $400 per week and an initial duration of 104 weeks). After 104 weeks, if you are unable to do not just your job but any that reasonably suited for you, you can receive benefits for life.
- Non-earner benefit. The IBC explains that if you do not qualify for income replacement benefits but are at least age 16 and “suffer a complete inability to carry on their normal life,” you can receive non-earner benefits, which entitle you to $185 per week for a period of 104 weeks.”
- Medical and rehabilitation benefits. There are three different levels of coverage under this benefit. The standard entitlement is $65,000.00, however that amount can be reduced to $3,500.00 if minor injuries are involved. The highest level of coverage, namely, $1,000,000.00 is for catastrophically designated victims.
- Attendant care benefits. If your injuries require an attendant to assist with personal care activities, this benefit will provide up to $3,000 per month and is taken out of the $65,000.00 allocated for Medical/Rehab.
- Expenses of immediate family members for visiting their loved one in a hospital.
- Reimbursement for personal effects destroyed in accident.
- Funeral and death benefits.
There are also other optional statutory accident benefits to which you may be entitled provided that you purchased these optional benefits. Common optional benefits are:
- Housekeeping and home maintenance benefit. If applicable, they can receive up to $100 per week for this benefit.
- Caregiver benefit. If they are a caregiver (which may include a parent) who no longer can perform their duties due to their injury, this benefit will provide them with $250 per week for the first person and $50 per week for each subsequent person.
Contact a Toronto Accident Benefits Lawyer
Benefit amounts vary, depending on whether you suffered minor, non-minor or catastrophic injury. Plus, you may purchase additional coverage to provide more adequately for your needs should an accident occur. Speak to your insurance agent to discuss any coverage questions, or speak with a qualified personal injury lawyer if you were in an accident.
Our Toronto car accident lawyers have represented thousands of people who have suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents. Dealing with your insurance company is a highly complex and confusing process. A lawyer’s goal is not only to obtain the maximum amount of compensation on your behalf, but to ensure that you receive the medical treatment you require. For a free case review, contact Preszler Law Firm today.