How to Choose a Brain Injury Lawyer after an Accident
Brain injuries are among the most costly and debilitating injuries a victim can sustain. Those who suffer head injuries or traumatic brain injury in an accident in Ontario may be eligible for compensation to address short- and long-term needs. No-fault accident benefits are available in cases related to a motor vehicle, but they may not address adequately the financial needs associated with brain injury.
In cases involving another person’s negligence, a brain injury victim may be eligible to pursue damages in a tort claim. A victim may choose to hire an injury lawyer to help resolve such a case. It is important, however, that the lawyer have sufficient experience handling similar cases.
What to Look for in a Brain Injury Lawyer
There are many special considerations with accident cases involving a brain injury. This is why victims should vet all potential lawyers carefully before hiring.
Some of the questions that victims should ask during an initial consultation include:
- How many brain injury cases do you try each year?
- Who in your firm has the most experience handling brain injury cases that are similar to my own?
- What is the typical financial recovery for someone with a brain injury like mine?
- What are the potential strengths and weaknesses of my brain injury claim?
- Will my claim take the cost of long-term cognitive therapy and treatment into account?
- Will my claim be able to compensate me for my lost wages and future income if my injury makes it impossible to work?
- Do you have any brain specialists with whom you consult on a regular basis?
- How will you calculate the potential value of my case?
- What results have you garnered for victims with injuries similar to my own?
It is important that a victim hire a lawyer with direct experience handling similar cases.
Understanding the High Cost of Treating Brain Injury in Ontario
At least 50,000 Canadians suffer brain injury each year, according to the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute. About half of those brain injuries are sustained in automobile accidents.
A severe brain injury is estimated to cost roughly $400,000 at the time of initial treatment, according to ThinkFirst.ca. A study by the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute found follow-up treatment of traumatic brain injury (TBI) may cost more than $32,000 in the first year alone.
A brain injury lawyer should have familiarity with the special concerns associated with traumatic brain injury and head trauma. This includes the common causes of these injuries, the nature of brain injury and recovery, how to determine liability in an accident that has caused a serious head injury, and the long-term financial considerations of treating TBI.
The lawyers at Preszler Injury Lawyers have more than 50 years of experience helping injury victims in the GTA and throughout Ontario. Our legal team has handled hundreds of brain injury cases successfully. Call us at 1-800-JUSTICE or complete this Case Evaluation Form. There is no cost to learn if you have grounds for a tort claim relating to your injury.